2026年8月4日火曜日

Day 6–8 分け合えば、あまる。 Days 6–8: When We Share, There Is Enough

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第38話 Day 6–8 分け合えば、あまる。

2011年3月17日。

病院の状況は、さらに厳しさを増していました。

食糧が届かない。

医薬品も補充されない。

ガソリンもない。

職員も、自宅と病院を往復することすら難しくなっていました。

それでも病院には、まだ多くの患者さんが残っていました。

転院できる方は転院を。

帰宅できる方は退院を。

病院機能を維持するため、私たちは一人ひとりの患者さんと向き合いながら、苦しい判断を重ねていました。

そんなある日。

病棟に、一枚の紙が貼られていました。

うばい合えば足らぬ

分け合えばあまる

うばい合えば憎しみ

分け合えば安らぎ

相田みつを

誰が貼ったのか、今でも知りません。

でも、その言葉は、不思議なくらい病棟の空気を落ち着かせていました。

私たちは決して豊かではありませんでした。

病院食は一日二回。

残った職員は泊まり込み。

時間があけば、医師も食事介助をし、できることは何でもしました。

医師だから。

看護師だから。

事務だから。

そんな境界線は、とっくになくなっていました。

そこにいたのは、

「この病院を守りたい。」

「この患者さんを守りたい。」

ただ、その思いだけでした。

今振り返れば、あの数日間は、私が初めて本当の意味でチーム医療を見た時間だったのかもしれません。

専門職とは、自分の仕事しかしない人ではありません。

専門性を持ちながらも、必要なときには互いを支え合える人たちです。

震災は、多くのものを奪いました。

でも、一つだけ確かなことがあります。

あの時、病院を支えていたのは設備ではありませんでした。

人でした。

互いを思いやる心でした。


2026年の私より

病院長になった今、職員へ話す機会が増えました。

「面倒見の良い病院をつくりたい。」

そう話すたびに、私の頭には、あの震災の日々が浮かびます。

食べ物もない。

薬もない。

水もない。

それでも、「誰かのために」と自然に動く職員がいました。

あの姿を見たからこそ、私は今でも確信しています。

病院の強さは、建物の大きさではありません。

最新の医療機器でもありません。

困ったときに、誰かのために一歩踏み出せる人が何人いるか。

それが、その病院の本当の力なのだと思います。

だから私は、これからもそんな病院を育てていきたい。

震災の日、私が仲間たちから教わったことを、次の世代へ伝えていきたいと思っています。

医療とは、人が人を支える営みです。

そして病院とは、その営みが最も美しく現れる場所なのだと、私はあの日、教えられました。


Bringing Healthcare into the Community

The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey

Episode 38 – Days 6–8: When We Share, There Is Enough

March 17, 2011.

The situation at our hospital continued to deteriorate.

Food supplies were no longer arriving.

Medicines were running out.

Fuel had become scarce.

Even commuting to work was becoming impossible for many members of our staff.

Yet many patients still remained in the hospital.

Those who could safely be transferred were transferred.

Those who could return home were discharged.

Each decision was difficult, but every decision was necessary if the hospital was to continue functioning.

One day, I noticed a handwritten sheet of paper quietly posted on a ward wall.

It read:

When we fight over what we have, there is never enough.

When we share, there is abundance.

When we fight, resentment grows.

When we share, peace follows.

Mitsuo Aida

To this day, I do not know who placed it there.

But somehow, those words changed the atmosphere of the ward.

We had very little.

Hospital meals had been reduced to only two per day.

Many staff members slept at the hospital because they could no longer travel home.

Whenever there was a spare moment, physicians helped feed patients, carried equipment, cleaned rooms—whatever needed to be done.

The usual boundaries between professions quietly disappeared.

It no longer mattered who was a doctor.

Who was a nurse.

Who worked in administration.

What mattered was something much simpler.

"We want to protect this hospital."

"We want to protect these patients."

Looking back, I think those days taught me the true meaning of teamwork in healthcare.

Professionalism is not about staying inside the limits of one's own job description.

It is about bringing one's expertise while remaining willing to step beyond it whenever another person needs help.

The earthquake took many things away from us.

But one truth became unmistakably clear.

It was not our buildings that kept the hospital alive.

Nor was it our equipment.

It was people.

It was kindness.

It was the quiet determination to care for one another.


Reflection from 2026

Now, as the director of Kashima Hospital, I often speak to our staff about the kind of hospital I hope we can become.

I tell them,

"Let us be a hospital that truly looks after people."

Whenever I say those words, my mind returns to those difficult days after the earthquake.

There was little food.

Little medicine.

No certainty about tomorrow.

Yet I witnessed countless colleagues who instinctively stepped forward to help someone else.

Because I saw that, I have never believed that the strength of a hospital lies in the size of its buildings or the sophistication of its equipment.

A hospital's greatest strength is measured by something far more human:

How many people are willing to take one extra step for someone in need?

That is the kind of hospital I want to continue building.

And it is the culture I hope to pass on to the next generation.

The earthquake taught me that healthcare is, above all,

people caring for people.

And a hospital, at its very best, is simply a place where that humanity becomes visible.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿