2026年8月4日火曜日

Day 12 避難所にも、かかりつけ医は必要だった Day 12: Every Evacuation Shelter Needed a Family Physician

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第40話 Day 12 避難所にも、かかりつけ医は必要だった

2011年3月22日。

市医師会のおかげで、担当する避難所が決まりました。

前日まで感じていた「支援の濃淡」は少しずつ解消され、

ようやく効率よく巡回できるようになりました。

避難所を歩いていて、私は一つのことに気づきました。

当初は感染症の流行が心配されていました。

実際、感染性胃腸炎などは散発していました。

しかし、それ以上に目立っていたのは、

眠れない人。

食欲がない人。

不安で胸が苦しくなる人。

家族のことを話し始めると涙が止まらない人。

傷は治り始めていました。

でも、暮らしはまだ壊れたままでした。

避難所には、全国から災害医療チームが来てくださいました。

短期間で交代しながら、

本当に懸命に診療してくださいました。

一方で、私は地域の家庭医でした。

患者さんの震災前の暮らしを知っています。

誰が一人暮らしで、

誰が老老介護で、

誰が認知症のご主人を支えてきたのか。

そんな背景まで知っていました。

だからこそ、私たちの役割は少し違いました。

病気だけを診るのではなく、

「この人は、この先どう暮らしていくのだろう。」

その視点を持ち続けることでした。

私は、この時初めて感じました。

災害医療には、

全国から駆け付ける力が必要です。

でも同時に、

地域に根を張る医療も必要なのだと。

避難所にも、

かかりつけ医は必要でした。


2026年の私より

あの日、全国から来てくださった医療チームには、

感謝しかありません。

もし、あの支援がなければ、

いわきの医療は立ち行かなかったでしょう。

一方で、

地域で暮らし続ける人々には、

災害が終わった後も人生が続いていきます。

だから家庭医は、

災害が終わるまで診るのではありません。

暮らしが戻るまで寄り添い続ける。

それが地域医療の役割です。

今、「いとちプロジェクト」で地域へ出ていく理由も、

その原点はこの避難所巡回にあります。

私は患者さんを探していたのではありません。

その人の暮らしを探していました。

そして今も、その視点は変わっていません。

医療を街に置くとは、病気ではなく、その人の暮らしがある場所へ医療を届けることなのです。


Bringing Healthcare into the Community

The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey

Episode 40 – Day 12: Every Evacuation Shelter Needed a Family Physician

March 22, 2011.

By this time, the local medical association had assigned each physician to specific evacuation shelters.

The gaps in medical support that I had noticed the previous day gradually began to close.

Our visits became more organised.

As I walked through the shelters, however, I realised something unexpected.

At first, we had feared outbreaks of infectious diseases.

A few cases of viral gastroenteritis did appear.

But they were not the greatest challenge.

What I encountered far more often were people who simply could not sleep.

People who had lost their appetite.

People whose chests tightened with anxiety.

People who began to cry the moment they spoke about their families.

Their physical wounds were beginning to heal.

But their lives had not.

Medical assistance teams from across Japan were visiting the shelters.

They worked tirelessly, rotating every few days to provide emergency medical care under extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

Their dedication deserves my deepest respect.

Yet I gradually realised that my role as a local family physician was different.

I already knew many of the people I was meeting.

I knew who lived alone.

Who had been caring for an elderly spouse.

Who had been supporting a family member with dementia.

I knew not only their illnesses,

but also the lives they had been living before the disaster.

That changed the way I cared for them.

I was no longer asking only,

"What illness does this person have?"

I was also asking,

"How will this person rebuild their life from here?"

That day, I came to understand something I have never forgotten.

Disaster medicine needs people who can rush in from across the country.

But it also needs people who remain after the emergency has passed.

Every evacuation shelter needed not only emergency physicians—

it also needed a family physician.


Reflection from 2026

Even now, I remain profoundly grateful to every disaster medical team that came to Iwaki.

Without their support, our community could never have endured those first difficult weeks.

At the same time, I came to understand another truth.

For the people living in those shelters,

life did not end when the emergency response ended.

Their lives continued.

That is why the role of a family physician is different.

We do not care for people only until the disaster is over.

We continue walking beside them until life begins to feel like life again.

Looking back,

I can see that this experience became one of the foundations of the Itochi Project.

Even then, I was not simply searching for patients.

I was searching for the lives they hoped to rebuild.

That perspective has never changed.

Bringing healthcare into the community means caring not only for illness, but for the place where people continue to live their lives.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿