2026年9月17日木曜日

「僕がやります。」 “I’ll Do It.”

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第76話 
「僕がやります。」

医学部5年生が、臨床実習に来ています。

一昨日、二人の学生と一緒に、入院中の超高齢の患者さんを診察しました。

脆弱性骨折。

幸い手術は回避できそうで、疼痛もコントロールでき、骨折そのものの治癒も期待できます。

順調なら、比較的早く、これまで暮らしていた施設へ戻れそうです。

一見すると、

「よかったですね」

で終われそうな患者さんです。

でも、私は学生たちに少し違う話をしました。


骨折だけを診れば、「治りそう」

患者さんには進行した認知症があります。

そして超高齢です。

今回の骨折そのものは、大事には至らなかった。

手術もしなくて済みそう。

施設にも戻れそう。

でも、

脆弱性骨折を起こしたという出来事そのものが、その人のこれからを考えるうえで大切なサインです。

今回は治るかもしれない。

けれど、身体の予備力は少しずつ低下している。

次に何かが起きたときも、今回と同じように回復できるとは限らない。

だから、

「この骨折をどう治すか」

だけではなく、

「この人は、これからどんな時間を過ごしていくのか」

を考える必要があります。

そんな話を学生たちにしました。

ちょうどそのあと、ご家族が病状説明を聞きに来院される予定でした。

そこで、二人に訊いてみました。

「これからご家族が来るけど、僕ら3人のうち、誰がメインで説明するのがいいかな?」

二人とも答えました。

「石井先生です」

まあ、そうなりますよね(笑)。


「じゃあ、僕が修行しますか」

そこで、もう一度訊いてみました。

「確かに僕は口下手だし、常日頃からもっともっと病状説明の修行をした方がいいと思うので、今回はそうしますか?」

すると。

少し考えていた学生の一人が、

意を決したように言いました。

「僕、やります」

おお。

では、お願いします。


本当に、やってもらった

もちろん、いきなり一人で放り出すわけではありません。

私もいます。

もう一人の学生もいます。

看護師も同席します。

困ったら助ければいい。

でも、

最初にご家族へ向かって言葉を発するのは、学生です。

そして彼は、ちゃんとやってくれました。

患者さんの現在の状態。

骨折について。

今後の見通し。

伝えなければならないことを、自分の言葉でご家族に説明しました。

終わってから、同席していた看護師に訊きました。

「どうだった?」

すると、

「内容は良かったです。声が小さかったので、もっと自信を持っていいですよ」

ありがたい。

指導医だけで評価すると、どうしても医学的内容に目が向きがちです。

でも、ご家族にとっては、

何を話したかと同じくらい、

どう届いたか

も大切です。

看護師からの一言は、そこをちゃんと見ていました。


頭の中では、ちゃんと話せるんです

本人にも感想を訊きました。

すると、

「話したい内容は頭ではまとまっていても、うまく言葉にならないですね」

そうなんです。

これは、やってみないと分からない。

病状を理解することと、

病状を説明することは、

同じではありません。

医学用語を知っていることと、

それを目の前のご家族に届く言葉へ変換できることも、

同じではありません。

まして、

「骨折は治りそうです」

という比較的よい知らせと、

「でも、この骨折はこれからを考える大切なサインでもあります」

という話を、

同時に伝えなければならない。

教科書には、なかなか正解が書いてありません。


もう一人は、何をしていたのか

そして、私はもう一人の学生にも訊きました。

説明している友人を見ながら、何を考えていた?

返ってきた答えが、よかった。

「頑張ってるな、と思っていました。次は私がチャレンジしたいです」

これを聞いて、

一昨日の実習は、もう十分だった気がしました。

一人が挑戦すると、

隣で見ていた一人の中にも、

次の挑戦が生まれる。

教員が、

「次はあなたがやりなさい」

と言わなくても、

「次は私がやってみたい」

と思う。

教育って、案外こういうふうに伝染するものなのかもしれません。


病状説明を教えるのも、医師だけではない

そして、一昨日の診察室には、

もう一人の先生がいました。

看護師です。

「内容は良かった」

「でも、もう少し大きな声で」

「もっと自信を持っていい」

短い言葉ですが、

これは立派なフィードバックです。

医学生を育てるのは、

医師だけではありません。

患者さんも。

ご家族も。

看護師も。

リハビリスタッフも。

MSWも。

地域で出会う人たちも。

みんなが、医学生の先生になります。


「石井先生です」から始まった

一昨日の実習は、

二人そろって、

「石井先生です」

から始まりました(笑)。

それが、

一人は、

「僕がやります」

になった。

そしてもう一人は、

「次は私がチャレンジしたい」

になった。

たった一回の病状説明です。

でも、この二つの言葉の間には、

医学生が一歩、医師へ近づいた時間があったように思います。

私が説明していたら、

きっと5分か10分で終わったでしょう。

そのほうが早い。

たぶん、うまくもいく。

でも、

うまく説明できる人が説明し続けていたら、次に説明できる人は育ちません。

だから、ときどき私たちは、

少し時間をかけて、

少しハラハラしながら、

誰かに場所を譲ります。

もちろん、

すぐ隣に立ったままで。


医療を街に置く。

その医療を、次の世代へ渡していく。

教えるというのは、

答えを先に言うことだけではありません。

「誰がやる?」

と訊いて、

誰かが、

「僕がやります」

と言えるまで、

ほんの少し待ってみること。

そして、その挑戦を見ていた誰かが、

「次は私が」

と思ってくれること。

一昨日、診察室で育ったのは、

一人の学生の病状説明の技術だけではなかったのだと思います。

挑戦する人の隣で、次の挑戦が育っていました。

石井 敦



Bringing Healthcare into the Community — Twenty Years of the Kashima Model

Episode 76 — “I’ll Do It.”

Two fifth-year medical students are currently completing their clinical training with us.

Two days ago, I examined a very elderly hospitalized patient together with them.

The patient had sustained a fragility fracture.

Fortunately, surgery appeared avoidable. The pain could be managed, healing could reasonably be expected, and if things continued to go well, the patient would likely be able to return relatively soon to the care facility where they had been living.

At first glance, this might seem like a case where we could simply say:

“That’s good news.”

But I wanted the students to see something more.


If We Look Only at the Fracture, “It Should Heal”

The patient has advanced dementia and is very old.

The fracture itself had not become a major crisis.

Surgery would probably not be necessary.

The patient would likely be able to return to the facility.

But there was another important point.

The fact that a very elderly person has sustained a fragility fracture is itself an important sign when we think about what may lie ahead.

This fracture may heal.

But physiological reserve is gradually diminishing.

If another illness or injury occurs in the future, recovery may not go as well as it did this time.

So our task is not only to ask:

“How do we treat this fracture?”

We also need to ask:

“What kind of time lies ahead for this person, and how should we prepare for it?”

That was what I explained to the students.

Just afterward, the patient’s family was due to come to the hospital for a discussion about the patient’s condition.

So I asked the two students:

“The family will be here soon. Of the three of us, who do you think should take the lead in explaining things?”

They both answered:

“Dr. Ishii.”

Well.

That was predictable(笑).


“Then Perhaps I Should Practice”

So I asked again.

“I suppose you’re right. I’m not particularly good at explaining things, and I really should get much more practice at talking with families. Shall I do it this time?”

There was a brief pause.

Then one of the students gathered his courage and said:

“I’ll do it.”

Oh.

Excellent.

Please do.


And He Really Did

Of course, I was not going to throw him into the room alone.

I was there.

The other medical student was there.

A nurse was there.

If he became stuck, we could help.

But there was one important difference:

the first person to speak directly to the family would be the student.

And he did it.

He explained the patient’s current condition.

The fracture.

The outlook.

He communicated what needed to be communicated, in his own words.

Afterward, I turned to the nurse who had been present.

“How was it?”

She replied:

“The content was good. Your voice was a little quiet, though. You can be more confident.”

What valuable feedback.

When a supervising physician evaluates a student, we naturally tend to focus on whether the medical content was correct.

But for a family,

what was said is only part of the communication.

How it reached them

matters just as much.

The nurse had noticed exactly that.


“It Makes Sense in My Head…”

I also asked the student how it had felt.

He said:

“I know what I want to say in my head, but it’s difficult to turn it into words.”

Exactly.

And that is something you cannot really learn until you try.

Understanding a patient’s condition

and explaining that condition

are not the same skill.

Knowing medical terminology

and translating it into words that reach the family sitting in front of you

are not the same skill either.

And in this case, he had to communicate two things at once.

“The fracture itself is likely to heal.”

And:

“This fracture may also be an important sign when we think about what lies ahead.”

There is rarely a textbook that tells you exactly how to say both of those things.


What Was the Other Student Doing?

Then I asked the other student:

“What were you thinking while you watched your colleague explain everything?”

I liked the answer.

“I was thinking, ‘He’s really working hard.’ And I thought I’d like to challenge myself next time.”

When I heard that,

I felt that our clinical teaching two days ago had already accomplished something important.

When one person takes on a challenge,

another challenge can begin growing in the person standing beside them.

No teacher had to say,

“You’re doing it next.”

Instead, the student thought:

“Next time, I want to try.”

Perhaps learning is contagious in exactly this way.


Doctors Are Not the Only People Who Teach Communication

There was another teacher in the room two days ago.

The nurse.

“The content was good.”

“Speak a little louder.”

“You can be more confident.”

Only a few words.

But excellent feedback.

Physicians are not the only people who educate medical students.

Patients do.

Families do.

Nurses do.

Rehabilitation professionals do.

Medical social workers do.

And people they meet in the community do.

All of them can become teachers of future doctors.


It Began with “Dr. Ishii Should Do It”

Our session two days ago began with both students saying:

“Dr. Ishii should do it.”

(笑)

Then one of them said:

“I’ll do it.”

And the other eventually said:

“I want to try next time.”

It was only one conversation with one family.

But somewhere between those two statements,

I think a medical student moved one small step closer to becoming a physician.

If I had explained everything myself,

it probably would have taken five or ten minutes.

It would have been faster.

And perhaps smoother.

But:

If the person who already knows how to explain things keeps doing all the explaining, the next person will never learn how.

So sometimes,

we need to spend a little more time.

Feel just a little nervous.

And give our place to someone else.

While, of course,

remaining right beside them.


Bringing healthcare into the community.

And passing that healthcare on to the next generation.

Teaching does not always mean giving the answer first.

Sometimes it means asking:

“Who wants to do it?”

And waiting just long enough

for someone to say:

“I’ll do it.”

Then perhaps the person watching from beside them will begin thinking:

“Next time, me.”

What grew in that consultation room two days ago was not merely one student’s ability to explain a medical condition.

Beside one person’s challenge, the next challenge had already begun to grow.

Atsushi Ishii

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿