2026年8月4日火曜日

仮設住宅という新しい地域 Temporary Housing: A New Community, A New Challenge

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第47話 仮設住宅という新しい地域

2011年春。

避難所での生活は、少しずつ終わりを迎えていました。

被災された方々は順次、仮設住宅へ移り始めます。

一見すると、

生活は前へ進み始めたように見えました。

しかし私は、

「本当の課題はここから始まるのではないか。」

そんな予感がしていました。

私は仮設住宅を訪ねるようになりました。

集会所では、

お茶を飲みながら笑い合う方々がいました。

「先生、また来たの?」

そう声を掛けていただけることもありました。

少し安心しました。

ところが、

職員の方から、こんな話を聞きました。

「実は、集会所へ来ない人がいるんです。」

私は部屋を訪ねました。

返事がありません。

カーテンは閉まったまま。

灯りもついていません。

もちろん、

中で休まれているだけかもしれません。

でも、

その扉の向こうには、

誰にも会わず、

誰とも話さず、

一人で過ごしている人がいることを知りました。

避難所では、

皆が同じ空間で生活していました。

誰かが体調を崩せば、

誰かが気づいてくれました。

しかし、

仮設住宅では違います。

一人になれる。

だからこそ、

孤立も見えなくなる。

私はその時、

災害医療は、

避難所で終わるものではないことを実感しました。

むしろ、

本当に難しいのは、

生活が落ち着き始めたその後なのだと。


2026年の私より

今でも私は、

地域のお祭りへ行きます。

学校へ行きます。

サロンへ行きます。

商業施設へ行きます。

それはイベントが好きだからではありません。

人が集まる場所には、

自然と笑顔が集まります。

しかし、

本当に支援が必要なのは、そこへ来られない人かもしれません。

仮設住宅で私が学んだのは、

「集まっている人」だけを見ていてはいけないということでした。

人が集まる場所をつくることも大切です。

でも同時に、

来られない人へこちらから出向くことは、

もっと大切です。

この経験は、

十五年後の今も、

私の診療を支えています。

私は今でも、

地域へ出ます。

それは、

イベントに来てくれる人に会うためだけではありません。

その場所に来ることができない人を忘れないためです。

だから私は、

医療を街に置き続けます。


Bringing Healthcare into the Community

The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey

Episode 47 – Temporary Housing: A New Community, A New Challenge

Spring 2011.

As the weeks passed, life in the evacuation centres gradually came to an end.

Many survivors began moving into temporary housing.

At first, it seemed like a step forward.

People finally had their own rooms.

Their own front doors.

A place they could once again call home.

But I could not shake a quiet concern.

"Perhaps the real challenge is only beginning."

So I began visiting the temporary housing communities.

In the community rooms,

people gathered over cups of tea.

They laughed together.

Some would greet me warmly.

"Doctor, you've come again!"

Seeing those smiles brought reassurance.

But one day, a staff member quietly said,

"There are some residents who never come here."

I walked to one of the apartments.

I knocked gently.

No answer.

The curtains remained closed.

The room was silent.

Perhaps the resident was simply resting.

Perhaps they had gone out.

But I realised something important.

The people who needed help most were often the ones we could not see.

In the evacuation centres,

everyone had lived together.

If someone became unwell,

someone else would notice.

In temporary housing,

that invisible safety net disappeared.

Privacy had returned.

But so had isolation.

It was then that I truly understood.

Disaster medicine does not end when people leave the evacuation centre.

In many ways,

that is where the hardest work begins.


Reflection from 2026

Even today,

I continue to visit community festivals.

Schools.

Local salons.

Shopping centres.

Not simply because I enjoy being there.

But because places where people naturally gather also reveal something important.

Those who are not there.

The greatest lesson temporary housing taught me was this:

We must never assume that the people we see are the only people who need our care.

Creating places where people can gather matters.

But so does seeking out those who cannot come.

Looking back,

I now realise that this experience quietly shaped everything that followed.

Long before the Itochi Project was born,

I had already begun asking myself a different question.

Not,

"Who has come to see the doctor?"

But rather,

"Who has not been able to come?"

That question continues to guide my work today.

It is why I still leave the hospital.

Because healthcare should never wait behind clinic doors.

Sometimes,

the people who need us most

are the ones we never meet

unless we go looking for them.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿