2026年8月4日火曜日

見えない傷を診る Caring for the Wounds We Could Not See

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第46話 見えない傷を診る

2011年4月。

外来には、少しずつ以前の顔ぶれが戻ってきました。

高血圧。

糖尿病。

腰痛。

風邪。

診療内容だけを見れば、

いつもの地域医療が戻ってきたように見えました。

でも、

患者さんは皆、

以前とは違う人になっていました。

津波で家を失った人。

仕事を失った人。

家族と離れて暮らすようになった人。

原発事故をきっかけに、

故郷を離れた人。

「先生、血圧はどうですか。」

そう尋ねると、

患者さんは答えます。

「血圧はいいんだけどね。」

そして、

ぽつりと本音がこぼれます。

「眠れないんです。」

「家に帰ると何もする気が起きない。」

「孫が避難したまま帰ってこない。」

その日、診ていたのは高血圧ではありませんでした。

その人の人生でした。

病気は、

数字では測れます。

しかし、

悲しみは測れません。

孤独も、

喪失感も、

採血では分かりません。

だから私は、

診察室で、

検査結果を見る前に、

患者さんの表情を見るようになりました。

カルテを見る前に、

「最近どうですか。」

と尋ねるようになりました。

震災は、

目に見えない傷が、

最も長く残ることを教えてくれました。


2026年の私より

今では、

「社会的決定要因(Social Determinants of Health)」

という言葉があります。

しかし、

2011年の私は、

そんな言葉を知りませんでした。

それでも、

患者さんを診ているうちに、

病気だけを診ていては、

本当の苦しみは見えてこないことだけは分かっていました。

だから今でも私は、

病気のことだけではなく、

暮らしのことを尋ねます。

誰と暮らしていますか。

食事は楽しめていますか。

外へ出ていますか。

笑っていますか。

それは、

震災が私に教えてくれた診療スタイルです。

家庭医とは、

病気を治す医師ではありません。

見えない傷にも寄り添う医師です。

そして、そのためには、

診察室だけでは足りません。

地域へ出て、

人とつながり、

暮らしを知る。

その積み重ねが、

本当の意味で人を支える医療になる。

私は今も、

そう信じています。


Bringing Healthcare into the Community

The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey

Episode 46 – Caring for the Wounds We Could Not See

April 2011.

As the days passed, familiar faces slowly returned to our outpatient clinic.

Hypertension.

Diabetes.

Back pain.

Common colds.

At first glance, it seemed as though ordinary community medicine had returned.

But nothing was truly ordinary anymore.

Every patient carried something invisible.

Some had lost their homes to the tsunami.

Others had lost their jobs.

Many were living apart from their families.

Some no longer knew whether they would ever return to the places they had once called home.

I would ask,

"How is your blood pressure today?"

And a patient would answer,

"The blood pressure is fine, Doctor..."

Then, after a brief silence,

something deeper would emerge.

"I can't sleep."

"I don't feel like doing anything anymore."

"My grandchildren evacuated, and they still haven't come home."

That day, I realised I was not treating hypertension.

I was caring for a life that had been profoundly shaken.

Blood pressure can be measured.

Blood sugar can be measured.

Even pain can sometimes be scored.

But grief cannot.

Loneliness cannot.

The weight of losing one's home,

one's community,

or one's future

cannot be captured by any laboratory test.

From then on,

before looking at test results,

I found myself looking at my patients' faces.

Before opening the electronic medical record,

I began asking,

"How have you really been?"

The earthquake taught me that the deepest wounds are often the ones no one can see.


Reflection from 2026

Today, we often speak of the social determinants of health.

In 2011,

I did not know that phrase.

But I already knew something its definition could never fully express.

If we focus only on disease,

we may completely miss the person's suffering.

That is why, even today,

I ask questions that go beyond symptoms.

Who do you live with?

Have you been able to enjoy your meals?

Have you been outside recently?

Have you laughed?

These are not questions separate from medicine.

They are part of medicine itself.

The earthquake changed not only the lives of my patients.

It transformed the way I practise medicine.

A family physician is not someone who treats only disease.

A family physician also cares for the wounds that cannot be seen.

And those wounds cannot always be understood inside the consultation room alone.

We must step into the community.

Walk beside people's lives.

Listen before we diagnose.

Because healing begins long before we write a prescription.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿