医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―
第44話 Day 21 診断名は、震災ではなかった
2011年3月31日。
震災から三週間。
この日、一人の90歳代の女性が受診されました。
ここ数日、急に様子がおかしい。
夜になると落ち着かず、
話がかみ合わない。
ご家族は、とても心配されていました。
診察を進めても、
脳卒中らしい所見はありません。
感染症を疑うような症状もありません。
薬の影響も考えましたが、決め手にはなりませんでした。
私は、病気だけではなく、
震災後の暮らしについて尋ねました。
すると、ご家族がぽつりと話してくださいました。
「先生、この人ね……」
「デイサービスとショートステイが大好きだったんです。」
震災ですべて止まってしまった。
毎週楽しみにしていた外出も、
職員さんとの会話も、
顔なじみの利用者さんとの時間も、
突然なくなってしまいました。
その方から「日常」が奪われていたのです。
施設へ相談しました。
ようやくショートステイを受け入れていただけることになりました。
その知らせを聞いた瞬間、
患者さんの表情がふっと和らぎました。
笑顔が戻りました。
私は、その笑顔を見ながら思いました。
診断名は、
せん妄。
しかし、
本当の原因は、
震災でもありませんでした。
その人らしい暮らしを失っていたことでした。
2026年の私より
十五年前、
私は「社会的処方」という言葉を知りませんでした。
もちろん、
「いとちプロジェクト」も、まだ存在していませんでした。
それでも、この患者さんは私に教えてくれました。
人は、
薬だけでは元気になれないことがある。
検査だけでは治らないことがある。
その人が大切にしてきた暮らし。
会いたい人。
安心できる居場所。
笑顔になれる日課。
それらが戻ることで、
人は再び元気を取り戻すことがあるのです。
今、「医療を街に置く」と言っているのも、
病気の原因が、
診察室の外にあることを、
私は震災の中で何度も見てきたからです。
だから私は、
地域のお祭りへ行きます。
学校へ行きます。
サロンへ行きます。
商業施設へ行きます。
そこには、
まだ病気になっていない人もいます。
しかし、
「暮らし」を支えることができれば、
病気を防げる人もいます。
2011年3月31日。
私は、一人の患者さんの笑顔を見て、
改めて確信しました。
家庭医が診るのは、
病気だけではない。
その人が、その人らしく暮らせる毎日なのだ。
そして、その思いは十五年後、
「医療を街に置く」
という形になって、今も私の診療を支えています。
ありがとうございます。
第44話は、海外の家庭医療においても非常に重要なテーマである social prescribing や the social determinants of health に自然につながる一編です。
ただし、この時点では先生はまだその言葉を知りませんでした。そのため英語版でも、後から概念を当てはめるのではなく、体験から理念が生まれたことが伝わるようにしました。
Bringing Healthcare into the Community
The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey
Episode 44 – Day 21: The Diagnosis Was Not the Earthquake
March 31, 2011.
Three weeks had passed since the disaster.
That day, a woman in her nineties came to our outpatient clinic.
According to her family, she had suddenly become confused.
She wandered at night.
Her conversations no longer made sense.
They were deeply worried.
As I examined her, I searched for the usual causes.
A stroke?
There were no neurological findings.
An infection?
Nothing suggested one.
Medication side effects?
Possible, but unlikely.
The answers were not there.
So I asked a different question.
"How has her life changed since the earthquake?"
Her family paused for a moment.
Then one of them quietly said,
"Doctor… she loved going to day care and short-stay services."
The earthquake had stopped everything.
The weekly outings she always looked forward to.
The conversations with the staff.
The familiar faces of her friends.
Without anyone noticing,
she had lost the rhythm of her life.
We contacted the care facility.
After some arrangements, they agreed to accept her again for a short stay.
When her family told her the news,
her expression softened.
A gentle smile returned to her face.
At that moment, I realised something important.
Her medical diagnosis was delirium.
But the true cause of her suffering was not the earthquake itself.
It was the loss of the life she loved.
Reflection from 2026
Fifteen years ago,
I had never heard the term social prescribing.
The Itochi Project did not yet exist.
But this patient taught me something I have never forgotten.
People are not healed by medication alone.
Nor by laboratory tests alone.
Sometimes, what restores health is something entirely different.
A familiar routine.
A place where they feel they belong.
People they long to see again.
The ordinary moments that give meaning to everyday life.
When those return,
hope often returns with them.
Looking back,
I now understand why I continue to bring healthcare into the community.
Because the causes of illness are not always found inside the consultation room.
Sometimes,
they are found in the lives people have lost.
That is why I go beyond the hospital.
To community festivals.
To schools.
To local salons.
To shopping centres.
To the places where everyday life unfolds.
There, I meet people who are not yet patients.
And perhaps,
by protecting the lives they value,
we may prevent illness before it begins.
On March 31, 2011,
one patient's smile reminded me of something that has guided my work ever since.
Family physicians do not care only for disease.
We care for the lives that make health worth preserving.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿