考える糧
英国から夏休みを利用して、かしま病院に見学に来ていた医学生Enzo君。
一週間の見学を終え、帰り際に一枚の手書きのメッセージを残してくれました。
そこには、こう書かれていました。
Dear Dr Ishii,
Thank you very much for hosting me this week.
I have learnt a lot and it has given me food for thought.
「今週、私を受け入れてくださり、本当にありがとうございました。
たくさんのことを学び、そして、それは私に “food for thought” を与えてくれました」
food for thought.
直訳すれば、「思考のための食べ物」。
日本語にするなら、
「考える糧」
でしょうか。
この言葉が、とても嬉しかった。
「たくさん勉強になりました」
もちろん、それだけでも十分に嬉しい。
でも、私たちがEnzo君に見てもらったのは、教科書に書いてあるような「正解」ばかりではありませんでした。
病院の中だけでなく、高齢者が暮らす施設へ行きました。
血圧や脈拍だけではなく、「快食・快眠・快便・快動・快重」という高齢者の暮らしのバイタルサインについて話しました。
食べられなくなった時、体重が減り始めた時。
それを単なる栄養の問題として捉えるのではなく、
「この人は、これからどう生きたいのだろう」
と考えること。
ACPについても話しました。
そして、病院を飛び出して地域にも触れてもらいました。
いわきおどりでは、私たちの黄色い法被姿を沿道から見てもらいました。
本当は一緒に踊らせようと企んでいたのですが、そこは丁重に断られました(笑)。
そんな一週間の最後に、彼が選んだ言葉が、
“food for thought.”
だった。
これは、教育に携わる者にとって、とても嬉しい言葉なのかもしれません。
医学教育というと、つい、
「何を教えたか」
「何を覚えてもらったか」
「何ができるようになったか」
を考えてしまいます。
でも、本当に大切なのは、
「何を考えるようになったか」
なのかもしれません。
私たちが答えを渡す必要はない。
むしろ、
「なぜだろう?」
「自分ならどうするだろう?」
「医療とは何だろう?」
「地域で人を診るとは、どういうことだろう?」
そんな問いを一つでも持ち帰ってもらえたなら、それでいい。
18年前、英国からPatrickが日本にやってきました。
そして18年後、そのPatrickにつながるEnzo君が、いわきにやってきた。
人から人へ。
地域から地域へ。
世代から世代へ。
受け継がれていくのは、医学知識だけではありません。
問いもまた、受け継がれていく。
そして、その問いが次の学びを育てる。
Enzo君。
こちらこそ、ありがとう。
君が「考える糧」を持ち帰ってくれたのなら、
私たちもまた、君との一週間から、
たくさんの**「考える糧」**をもらいました。
いつか、その糧が英国のどこかで芽を出す日を楽しみにしています。
Food for Thought
Enzo, a medical student from the UK, spent a week with us at Kashima Hospital during his summer holiday.
At the end of his visit, he left me a handwritten note.
It began:
Dear Dr Ishii,
Thank you very much for hosting me this week.
I have learnt a lot and it has given me food for thought.
“Food for thought.”
I really liked those words.
In Japanese, I would translate them as kangaeru kate — 考える糧: something that nourishes thought, something that gives us material to keep thinking.
Of course, as someone involved in medical education, I am always happy to hear a student say:
“I learnt a lot.”
But somehow, “food for thought” meant even more to me.
Because during his week with us, what we showed Enzo was not simply a collection of medical facts or textbook answers.
We took him outside the hospital and on rounds at a long-term care facility for older adults.
We talked about the “Five Comforts” — eating well, sleeping well, comfortable elimination, moving comfortably, and maintaining a stable weight — as another way of looking at the vital signs of older people.
We talked about what it might mean when an older person begins to eat less or lose weight.
Rather than seeing this only as a nutritional problem, perhaps we should also ask:
How does this person want to live from now on?
That led us to conversations about Advance Care Planning.
And we also took medicine beyond medicine.
Enzo experienced a little of Iwaki itself.
He came to watch the Iwaki Odori, our local summer dance festival, and saw us dancing through the streets in our bright yellow happi coats.
I had, of course, tried to persuade him to dance with us.
He very politely declined.
(笑)
And then, at the end of this week, the words he chose were:
“Food for thought.”
Perhaps there is no greater compliment for someone involved in education.
When we think about medical education, we tend to ask:
What did we teach?
What did the student learn?
What can they now do that they could not do before?
But perhaps an equally important question is:
What have they begun to think about?
We do not always need to give students the answers.
Perhaps it is enough to send them home with questions.
Why?
What would I do?
What really matters to this patient?
What does it mean to care for a person rather than simply treat a disease?
What does it mean to practise medicine within a community?
If Enzo takes even one of those questions back to the UK with him, then perhaps our week together has achieved something worthwhile.
Eighteen years ago, Patrick came to Japan from the UK.
Eighteen years later, Enzo, connected to us through Patrick, came to Iwaki.
From person to person.
From one community to another.
From one generation to the next.
What we pass on is not only medical knowledge.
Questions, too, can be passed on.
And sometimes those questions become the nourishment from which the next stage of learning grows.
Enzo, thank you.
If we were able to give you some “food for thought” during your week in Iwaki, then I should tell you this:
You gave us plenty of food for thought, too.
I look forward to the day when something from this week takes root somewhere in the UK.

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿