医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―
第48話 笑顔という治療薬
2011年春。
震災から二か月ほど経った頃でした。
少しずつ、
地域にも笑顔が戻り始めていました。
商店が営業を再開する。
学校で子どもたちの声が聞こえる。
地域の集まりも、
少しずつ開かれるようになってきました。
診療をしていても、
患者さんの表情が少し柔らかくなってきたことを感じました。
ある患者さんが言いました。
「先生、久しぶりに近所の人と笑いました。」
その一言が、
とても印象に残っています。
薬が効いたわけではありません。
検査結果が改善したわけでもありません。
ただ、
人と話した。
笑った。
それだけでした。
でも、
人は少し元気になっていました。
私はその時、
健康とは、
病気がないことだけではないのだと、
改めて思いました。
笑えること。
話せること。
誰かが待っていてくれること。
それもまた、
人を元気にする医療なのだと。
2026年の私より
だから私は今でも、
地域のお祭りへ行きます。
学校へ行きます。
サロンへ行きます。
イベントを開きます。
医療相談だけをするためではありません。
人が笑う場所を、
地域につくりたいからです。
もちろん、
笑顔だけで病気は治りません。
薬も必要です。
手術も必要です。
検査も必要です。
でも、
笑顔が、
人をもう一歩前へ進ませることがあります。
震災は、
人の命の尊さを教えてくれました。
同時に、
人は人によって元気になることも教えてくれました。
今の「いとちプロジェクト」は、
地域イベントではありません。
人が自然につながり、
笑顔が生まれ、
困った時には助けを求められる関係を育てる、
地域の健康づくりです。
十五年前、
私はまだその名前を知りませんでした。
でも、
患者さんの
「久しぶりに笑いました。」
という一言を聞いたあの日、
その種は確かに蒔かれていたのだと思います。
だから私は、
これからも
医療を街に置き続けます。
Bringing Healthcare into the Community
The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey
Episode 48 – A Smile as Medicine
Spring 2011.
About two months had passed since the disaster.
Little by little,
life was beginning to return to the community.
Shops reopened.
Children's voices could once again be heard at school.
Small neighbourhood gatherings quietly resumed.
Even in the clinic,
I noticed something changing.
People's expressions were becoming softer.
One day, a patient smiled and said,
"Doctor, I laughed with my neighbours for the first time in a long while."
Those words have stayed with me ever since.
No new medicine had been prescribed.
No laboratory values had dramatically improved.
Nothing remarkable had happened medically.
They had simply talked.
They had laughed.
They had spent time together.
And somehow,
they looked healthier.
That day, I realised once again
that health is more than the absence of disease.
To laugh.
To talk.
To know that someone is waiting for you.
These, too,
have the power to heal.
Reflection from 2026
Perhaps that is why I continue to leave the hospital.
I go to community festivals.
Schools.
Local salons.
Public events.
Not merely to provide medical advice.
But to help create places where people naturally meet,
talk,
and smile together.
Of course,
a smile alone cannot cure heart failure.
Nor can it replace surgery,
medication,
or scientific medicine.
Modern medicine remains essential.
But human connection can often become the first step towards healing.
The earthquake taught me how fragile life can be.
It also taught me something equally important.
People recover through people.
Looking back,
I now understand that the Itochi Project did not begin with an event.
It began much earlier—
the moment I realised that community itself could become part of healthcare.
Fifteen years ago,
I did not yet have those words.
But the seed had already been planted.
It was planted the day one patient quietly told me,
"Doctor... I laughed again today."
That simple sentence continues to guide everything I do.
Because healthcare should never exist only inside hospitals.
Sometimes,
it begins with nothing more than
a conversation,
a shared smile,
and the feeling that
you belong.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿