医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―
第39話 Day 11 病院を出た日
2011年3月21日。
震災から11日。
病院の中は、少しずつ落ち着きを取り戻し始めていました。
しかし、私の心には一つの疑問がありました。
「避難所は、本当に大丈夫なのだろうか。」
自主的に近隣の避難所を巡回してみることにしました。
実際に歩いてみると、あることに気づきました。
ある避難所には災害医療チームが来ている。
一方で、別の避難所には誰も来ていない。
支援に「濃淡」が生まれていたのです。
もちろん、誰かが怠けていたわけではありません。
誰もが懸命でした。
ただ、あまりにも急激で、あまりにも広範囲の災害だったため、
「誰が、どこを診ているのか」
その全体像を把握する仕組みがありませんでした。
私は市役所へ電話しました。
「保健所へ聞いてください。」
保健所へ電話しました。
「医師会へ聞いてください。」
医師会へ電話しました。
なかなかつながりません。
ようやくつながったと思うと、
「私たちも全体は把握できていません。」
という返事でした。
誰も悪くありません。
誰もが限界でした。
だから私はお願いしました。
「担当する避難所を整理しませんか。」
「各団体の巡回予定を共有しませんか。」
すると、市医師会は快く動いてくださいました。
そのおかげで、避難所ごとの担当が整理され、巡回にも少しずつ秩序が生まれていきました。
夜。
私は看護師もいない病院で、一人当直をしていました。
検査も十分にはできません。
処置にも限界があります。
それでも患者さんは来院されます。
だから、知恵を絞る。
限られた環境で最善を考える。
家庭医とは、そういう仕事なのだと思いました。
そして、私はこの日、一つのことに気づきました。
病院の中だけを見ていては、
地域全体は見えない。
診察室の中だけでは、
本当に困っている人には出会えない。
だから医療は、
待つものではなく、出向くものでもある。
今振り返れば、
この日、私は初めて
「医療を街に置く」
という発想の入口に立っていたのだと思います。
2026年の私より
十五年前には、
「いとちプロジェクト」は、まだ発足していませんでした。
しかし、家庭医療を学ぶ中で、
病気だけではなく、人の暮らしや地域とのつながりを支える医療の大切さは、おぼろげながら実感し始めていました。
今で言えば、それは「社会的処方」という考え方に近いものだったのかもしれません。
ただ、当時の私には、そんな言葉は必要ありませんでした。
私が考えていたのは、ただ一つ。
「支援に漏れがあってはいけない。」
ということだけでした。
その思いは、今も変わりません。
だから私は病院を飛び出します。
地域のお祭りへ行きます。
学校へ行きます。
サロンへ行きます。
商業施設へ行きます。
街を歩きます。
病気になってから出会うのでは遅いことがあります。
だからこそ、
病気になる前から地域とつながる。
振り返れば、
「いとちプロジェクト」が始まるずっと前から、その種は私の中に蒔かれていました。
2011年3月21日。
避難所を巡回したあの日、
私が探していたのは患者さんではありませんでした。
支援から取り残されている人でした。
診察室で待っていては、出会えない人たちです。
だから私は病院を出ました。
そして今も、病院を出続けています。
地域のお祭りへ。
学校へ。
サロンへ。
商業施設へ。
人が暮らす場所へ。
医療は、病院の中だけにあってはならない。
本当に困っている人のいる場所へ、自ら出向いてこそ医療になる。
その思いは、
2011年3月21日から、
十五年経った今も、
少しも変わっていません。
だから私は、これからも
医療を街に置き続けます。
Bringing Healthcare into the Community
The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey
Episode 39 – Day 11: The Day I Walked Beyond the Hospital
March 21, 2011.
Eleven days had passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake.
Inside the hospital, things were beginning—very gradually—to settle.
But one question continued to trouble me.
"Are the evacuation shelters really alright?"
I decided to visit the nearby shelters on my own.
As I walked from one shelter to another, I noticed something unsettling.
Some shelters were being visited regularly by disaster medical assistance teams.
Others had received no medical support at all.
There were clear gaps in the distribution of care.
It was not because anyone lacked commitment.
Everyone was working tirelessly.
The disaster had simply been too vast, too sudden, and too complex.
No one had an overview of who was caring for which shelters.
I called the city office.
"Please ask the public health centre."
I called the public health centre.
"Please contact the local medical association."
I called the medical association.
The phone rang endlessly before someone finally answered.
Their reply was honest.
"We don't yet have a complete picture either."
No one was at fault.
Everyone had already reached the limits of what they could do.
So I made a simple suggestion.
"Could we assign specific shelters to specific physicians?"
"Could we share each organisation's visiting schedule?"
The local medical association responded immediately and generously.
Little by little, responsibilities became clearer.
Medical visits became more organised.
And the gaps in care began to narrow.
That night, I was on duty alone.
There were no nurses with me.
Our ability to perform tests was severely limited.
Many treatments were simply impossible.
Yet patients continued to arrive.
So I did what family physicians have always done.
I thought carefully.
I adapted.
I tried to provide the best possible care with the resources we still had.
That day, I realised something that has never left me.
If we look only inside the hospital,
we cannot truly see the community.
If we wait only inside the consulting room,
we will never meet many of the people who need us most.
Healthcare is not only something people come to receive.
Sometimes,
it is something that must go out to meet them.
Looking back now,
I believe that was the first day
I stepped onto the path that would eventually become
Bringing Healthcare into the Community.
Reflection from 2026
Fifteen years ago,
the Itochi Project did not yet exist.
Yet through my training in family medicine, I had already begun to understand—perhaps only intuitively—that healthcare is about far more than treating disease.
It is also about supporting people's lives, their relationships, and the communities to which they belong.
Today, we might describe that philosophy as social prescribing.
Back then, however, I did not need those words.
I was guided by one simple conviction:
No one should be left behind.
That belief has never changed.
It is why I continue to leave the hospital.
I go to community festivals.
Schools.
Neighbourhood salons.
Shopping centres.
Wherever people live their ordinary lives.
Some people need our care long before they ever become our patients.
That is why we must build relationships before illness begins.
Looking back now, I realise that the seeds of the Itochi Project had already been planted long before the project itself came into being.
On March 21, 2011,
I was not searching for patients.
I was searching for people who had quietly been left behind.
People whom I would never have met if I had remained inside my consulting room.
That is why I left the hospital.
And that is why I continue to leave it today.
To festivals.
To schools.
To community gatherings.
To shopping centres.
To wherever people live.
Healthcare should never be confined within hospital walls.
It becomes true healthcare only when we are willing to go where people need us most.
That conviction was born on March 21, 2011.
Fifteen years have passed,
yet it has never changed.
And it never will.
That is why I will continue to bring healthcare into the community.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿