2026年8月4日火曜日

医療を街に置く Bringing Healthcare into the Community

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第50話 医療を街に置く

2026年。

多くのイベントが催されています。

子どもたちが白衣を着て、医師になりきっています。

高齢者は健康相談を受け、

学生たちは血圧を測り、

買い物に来た方が、

「先生、この前はありがとう。」

と笑顔で声を掛けてくださいます。

そんな光景を見ていると、

時々こう尋ねられます。

「先生、休みの日まで仕事ですか?」

私は笑って答えます。

「いいえ。」

「これは、私の診療です。」


十五年前。

私は病院の中にいました。

津波に襲われた患者さんを診ました。

断水の中で診療しました。

避難所を歩きました。

仮設住宅を訪ねました。

返事のない扉をノックしました。

笑顔を失った患者さんと出会いました。

「先生、生きてたの?」

そんな再会の言葉に励まされました。

「久しぶりに笑いました。」

その一言に、

医療の本当の力を教えられました。

あの日々を通して、

私は一つのことに気づきました。

病院の中だけでは、

地域は守れない。


だから私は、

病院を出ます。

地域のお祭りへ。

学校へ。

サロンへ。

商業施設へ。

子どもたちのところへ。

高齢者のところへ。

まだ患者さんではない人たちのところへ。

そこには、

診察室では出会えない人がいます。

まだ病院へ来ていない人がいます。

自分が医療を必要としていることに、

まだ気づいていない人がいます。

そして、

誰にも気づかれず、

静かに困っている人がいます。

だから私は、

地域へ出続けます。


震災は、

私から多くのものを奪いました。

日常。

安心。

当たり前の暮らし。

しかし同時に、

私に一つの使命を与えてくれました。

医療とは、

病院の中だけにあるものではない。

人が暮らす場所にこそ、

医療は寄り添わなければならない。

その思いは、

十五年経った今も変わりません。


あの日、

私は避難所を歩いていました。

今日、

私は街を歩いています。

歩く場所は変わりました。

でも、

探している人は変わっていません。

まだ医療につながっていない人。

まだ助けを求められない人。

そして、

「そこにいない人」。

私はこれからも、

その人たちに会いに行きます。

医療のほうから、

一歩踏み出します。

それが、

私が震災から学んだ家庭医療です。

それが、

私たちが育ててきた**「かしまモデル」**です。

そして私は、

これからも歩き続けます。

医療を街に置くために。


あとがき

2011年3月11日。

あの日から始まった私の被災日誌は、十五年の時を経て、この物語へとつながりました。

東日本大震災の急性期は終わりました。

しかし、家庭医の仕事は終わりません。

地域には、今日も誰かが暮らしています。

誰かが笑い、

誰かが悩み、

誰かが助けを必要としています。

だから私は、明日も病院を出ます。

診察室で患者さんを待つためだけではなく、

まだ出会っていない人に出会うために。


Bringing Healthcare into the Community

The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey

Episode 50 – Bringing Healthcare into the Community

2026.

Many events take place.

Children, dressed in white coats, are pretending to be doctors.

Older adults stop by for health consultations.

Medical students measure blood pressure.

People passing by smile and say,

"Doctor, thank you for helping me the other day."

From time to time, someone asks me,

"Doctor, are you working even on your day off?"

I smile and answer,

"No."

"This is my practice."


Fifteen years ago,

my world looked very different.

I cared for people rescued from the tsunami.

I worked in a hospital without running water.

I walked through evacuation centres.

I visited temporary housing.

I knocked on doors that never opened.

I met patients who had forgotten how to smile.

I heard someone greet me with,

"Doctor... you're alive!"

I watched another patient smile again after saying,

"I laughed for the first time in a long while."

Those moments changed me.

They taught me something no textbook ever could.

A hospital alone cannot protect a community.


That is why I continue to leave the hospital.

I go to community festivals.

Schools.

Local salons.

Shopping centres.

Neighbourhood events.

Where children play.

Where older adults gather.

Where people live their ordinary lives.

Because there are people I will never meet if I remain inside the consultation room.

People who have not yet come to the hospital.

People who do not yet realise they need medical care.

People who quietly struggle without asking for help.

Those are the people I continue to look for.


The earthquake took many things from us.

Our ordinary days.

Our sense of security.

The lives we had once taken for granted.

But it also gave me something unexpected.

It showed me the path I was meant to follow.

Healthcare does not belong only inside hospitals.

It belongs wherever people live their lives.

That belief has never changed.


Fifteen years ago,

I walked through evacuation centres.

Today,

I walk through the community.

The places have changed.

But the people I seek have not.

Those who have not yet found healthcare.

Those who cannot ask for help.

Those who remain unseen.

I will continue to take the first step toward them.

Because that is what family medicine has taught me.

That is what became

the Kashima Model.

And that is why,

I will keep bringing healthcare

into the community.


Epilogue

On 11 March 2011,

I began writing what was simply a disaster diary.

Fifteen years later,

I realise it became something much more.

The earthquake eventually came to an end.

But the work of a family physician never does.

Every day,

someone in the community laughs.

Someone grieves.

Someone quietly struggles.

Someone needs help without yet knowing how to ask for it.

That is why tomorrow,

I will leave the hospital once again.

Not only to care for those who are waiting inside the consultation room,

but also to meet

the people I have not yet met.


The Closing Words

Healthcare is at its most powerful when it exists where people live their lives.

This is not simply the conclusion of a disaster diary.

It is the beginning of a lifelong commitment.

The earthquake revealed not only the fragility of our communities,

but also the extraordinary resilience that grows when healthcare walks alongside people's everyday lives.

That journey continues.

And so do I.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿