医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―
第34話 Day 1 すべては、あの日から始まった。
2011年3月11日。
私は福島県三春町にある三春病院の医局にいました。
突然、激しい揺れ。
テレビの上に置いてあった碁石が宙を舞い、倒れてきた本棚に押しつぶされそうになりました。
幸い、けがはありませんでした。
しかし、その直後から、いわきにいる家族と全く連絡が取れなくなりました。
テレビでは、津波が街をのみ込んでいく映像が繰り返し流れています。
映っているのは、自分が暮らす街でした。
まず病院の被害を確認しました。
築2年ほどの新しい建物だったこともあり、幸い大きな損傷はありませんでした。
私は家族の安否を確かめるため、自家用車で一般道を走り、いわきへ向かいました。
道路には、民家から飛び出した窓枠や家具が散乱し、水道管は破裂して道路が水浸しになっていました。
自宅近くでは、瓦が落ち、塀が倒れた家がいくつもありました。
ようやく家へたどり着くと、家族は身を寄せ合い、不安そうな表情で私を迎えてくれました。
次女は右上腕骨を骨折していました。
実は、地震の約2時間前、竹馬から落ちて受傷していたのです。
偶然とはいえ、「もし地震の瞬間に竹馬に乗っていたら……」と、今でも考えてしまいます。
家族の無事を確認すると、私は教育関連病院であるかしま病院へ向かいました。
そこには、津波で低体温となった多くの患者さんが次々と搬送されていました。
手術室の壁は損壊し、断水のため手術も透析もできません。
医局へ入ると、本棚は崩れ落ち、書籍が床一面に散乱していました。
ほんの数時間前までの日常は、もうどこにもありませんでした。
あの日の私は、まだ知りませんでした。
これから、
地震だけではない。
津波だけでもない。
原子力災害。
避難。
風評被害。
物資不足。
地域の分断。
そして、長く続く復興への道。
そんな現実と向き合うことになるとは。
この日から、私たち家庭医の長い闘いが始まりました。
そして今振り返ると、
私自身の「医療を街に置く」という考え方も、
あの日から始まっていたのだと思います。
2026年の私より
15年前の日誌を読み返すと、不思議な気持ちになります。
当時の私は、ただ目の前の患者さんと家族を守ることに必死でした。
けれど、その後の15年間を経た今だからこそ分かることがあります。
医療は、病院だけでは完結しません。
家族が暮らす家。
避難所。
地域のつながり。
街そのもの。
そのすべてが、人の健康に影響していました。
だから私は今も、診察室を出て街へ向かいます。
あの日から続く、小さな一歩を、これからも歩み続けたいと思います。
Bringing Healthcare into the Community
The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey
Episode 34 – Day 1: Where Everything Began
March 11, 2011.
I was in the physicians' office at Miharu Hospital, in Fukushima Prefecture.
Without warning, the building began to shake violently.
The Go stones that had been sitting on top of the television flew across the room, and a large bookshelf toppled toward me.
Fortunately, I escaped without injury.
But within moments, another fear took hold.
I could no longer reach my family in Iwaki.
Television screens repeatedly showed enormous tsunami waves swallowing entire towns.
Among those images was my own city.
After confirming that Miharu Hospital—still a relatively new building—had suffered no major structural damage, I got into my car and drove toward Iwaki.
The roads were filled with debris.
Window frames torn from houses lay scattered across the pavement.
Water pipes had burst, flooding streets in several places.
Near my home, roof tiles had fallen, and walls had collapsed.
When I finally arrived, I found my family huddled together inside the house, frightened but alive.
My second daughter had fractured her right upper arm.
Ironically, she had fallen from a bamboo stilt only two hours before the earthquake.
Even today, I sometimes wonder what might have happened had she still been playing outside when the earthquake struck.
After confirming that my family was safe, I headed to Kashima Hospital, one of our affiliated teaching hospitals.
Patients rescued from the tsunami kept arriving, many suffering from severe hypothermia.
The operating theatre had been damaged.
There was no running water.
Surgery and dialysis had both become impossible.
When I entered the physicians' office, every bookshelf had collapsed.
Medical textbooks were scattered across the floor.
Only a few hours earlier, this had been an ordinary working day.
That ordinary world had disappeared.
At that moment, I had no idea what lay ahead.
Not only the earthquake.
Not only the tsunami.
But also the nuclear accident.
Mass evacuations.
Social stigma and discrimination.
Shortages of food, fuel, and medicine.
Communities divided by different experiences of the disaster.
And a recovery that would take years.
That day marked the beginning of a long journey—not only for our community, but also for me as a family physician.
Looking back now, I realise that something else also began that day.
The idea that healthcare cannot remain inside hospital walls.
The belief that medicine must walk alongside people, wherever they live.
The conviction that would eventually become Bringing Healthcare into the Community.
Reflection from 2026
When I read these notes fifteen years later, they feel strangely unfamiliar.
At the time, I was simply trying to protect my patients and my family, one hour at a time.
I did not realise that the disaster was quietly reshaping my understanding of medicine.
Health was influenced not only by disease, but also by home.
By evacuation shelters.
By neighbours.
By communities.
By the places where people belonged.
That is why I continue to leave my consulting room and step into the community.
Because the journey that began on March 11, 2011, has not yet ended.
And perhaps, it never will.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿