2026年8月15日土曜日

終戦の日に ― 守られた国で、国を創る ―  On the Anniversary of the End of the War — Building the Country We Inherited —

 

終戦の日に

― 守られた国で、国を創る ―

8月15日。

終戦の日を迎えました。

81年前の今日、日本は戦争を終えました。

私は、戦争を知りません。

空襲の恐怖も、

戦地へ向かう人の覚悟も、

大切な人を送り出す家族の思いも、

食べるものさえ十分にない暮らしも、

自分自身の経験として知ることはできません。

だからこそ、想像することをやめてはいけないと思っています。

あの時代を生きた一人ひとりにも、

家族があり、

愛する人があり、

故郷があり、

守りたい日常があったはずです。

そして、置かれた立場も、抱いていた思いも、それぞれに違ったことでしょう。

その中で、国を守るため、家族を守るため、故郷を守るために、自らの命をかけて行動された多くの先人がいました。

今日という日に、

その方々へ、

衷心より感謝と敬意を表します。


同時に、終戦の日を、

過去を振り返るだけの日にはしたくないと思っています。

先人たちから受け取ったこの国で、

今を生きている私たちは何をするのか。

それを自分自身に問い直す日でもあると思うからです。

私は軍人ではありません。

政治家でもありません。

一人の医師です。

そして、

地域の病院で働く一人の人間です。

だから、

私にできる「国を守る」は、

目の前の人の命を守ること。

病気になった人を診ること。

困っている人を置き去りにしないこと。

高齢になっても安心して暮らせる地域をつくること。

次の時代を担う若者を育てること。

そして、

人と人とが支え合える地域をつくることです。


国とは、

地図に引かれた線だけではないと思います。

そこに暮らす人がいて、

家族がいて、

学校があり、

仕事があり、

病院があり、

祭りがあり、

誰かの「ただいま」と、

誰かの「おかえり」がある。

そんな一つひとつの暮らしの積み重ねが、

国なのだと思います。

だとすれば、

地域を守ることも、

人を育てることも、

医療を守ることも、

国を創ることにつながっている。


先人たちが命をかけて守ろうとした国を、

私たちは、

ただ受け取るだけではいけない。

受け取ったものを、

次の世代へ、

少しでも良い形にして渡していかなければならない。

私はそう思います。

国を守る覚悟。

そして、

国を創る覚悟。

時代が変われば、

その方法も変わります。

私には、

私の持ち場があります。

病院があります。

地域があります。

患者さんがいます。

仲間がいます。

そして、

次の時代をつくる若者たちがいます。

私は、

私にできることで、

この国を創っていきます。

大きなことを言うつもりはありません。

目の前の一人を大切にする。

困っている人に手を伸ばす。

地域から医療をなくさない。

若い人たちに未来を手渡す。

そんな小さな営みを、

今日も、

明日も、

積み重ねていく。

それが、

今を生きる私にできる、

先人への恩返しだと思っています。


81年前、

この国の未来を願いながら、

命をかけて生き抜いたすべての先人に、

心からの感謝と敬意を。

そして、

その先人たちから受け取った未来を生きる者として、

私もまた、

自分の持ち場で責任を果たしていくことを、

終戦の日に、改めて心に誓います。

守っていただいたこの国で、

今度は私たちが、次の国を創る。

その覚悟を胸に、

今日も私は、

自分の持ち場に立ちます。


On the Anniversary of the End of the War

— Building the Country We Inherited —

August 15.

Today marks the anniversary of the end of the war.

Eighty-one years ago today, Japan brought its war to an end.

I do not know war firsthand.

I have never experienced the terror of an air raid.

I have never known what it means to leave for the battlefield, not knowing whether I would return.

I have never experienced the feelings of a family sending someone they love off to war.

Nor have I lived through a time when even having enough food to eat could not be taken for granted.

These are experiences I can never truly know for myself.

And precisely for that reason, I believe we must never stop trying to imagine them.

Every person who lived through those years had a family.

Someone they loved.

A hometown.

An ordinary life they wanted to protect.

Their circumstances were different.

Their beliefs and feelings were different.

And yet, amid those circumstances, many of our predecessors acted at the risk of their own lives—to protect their country, their families, and the places they called home.

On this day,

I offer them my deepest gratitude and profound respect.


At the same time, I do not want August 15 to be only a day for looking back.

For those of us who now live in the country they left to us, it should also be a day to ask ourselves:

What will we do with what we have inherited?

I am not a soldier.

I am not a politician.

I am a doctor.

And I am one person working in a community hospital.

So for me, “protecting my country” means protecting the life of the person in front of me.

Caring for those who become ill.

Not leaving behind those who are struggling.

Helping to build a community where people can continue to live with dignity as they grow older.

Nurturing the young people who will carry the next generation.

And helping to create a community in which people can support one another.


A country, I believe, is more than lines drawn on a map.

It is made of people.

Families.

Schools.

Places of work.

Hospitals.

Festivals.

Someone saying,

“I’m home.”

And someone answering,

“Welcome back.”

A country is built from countless ordinary lives like these.

If that is true,

then protecting a community,

educating the next generation,

and sustaining healthcare

are also ways of building a country.


We cannot simply receive the country that those before us sought to protect at such enormous cost.

We have a responsibility to pass what we have inherited to the next generation—

in a better form, if we possibly can.

The resolve to protect our country.

And also,

the resolve to build it.

As times change,

the ways in which we fulfil that responsibility will change as well.

I have my own place in which to serve.

I have a hospital.

I have a community.

I have patients.

I have colleagues.

And I have young people who will create the next era.

Through what I can do,

in the place where I stand,

I will continue to help build this country.

I do not mean this as some grand declaration.

Value the person in front of me.

Reach out to someone who is struggling.

Keep healthcare alive in our community.

Pass something worthwhile on to the next generation.

These may be small acts.

But I will continue them,

today,

tomorrow,

and the day after that.

I believe that is one way I can repay what we have inherited from those who came before us.


To all those who lived through those years,

who endured unimaginable hardship,

and who put their lives on the line while hoping for a future for this country,

I offer my deepest gratitude and respect.

And as someone fortunate enough to live in the future they never knew,

on this anniversary of the end of the war,

I renew my commitment to fulfil my own responsibility,

in my own place,

in my own time.

In the country that was preserved and passed on to us,

it is now our turn to build the country we will pass on to those who come next.

With that resolve in my heart,

I will continue to stand at my post.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿