医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―
第49話 そこにいない人を診る
震災を経験して、
私の診療は少し変わりました。
診察室には、
今日も患者さんが来てくださいます。
目の前にいる患者さんを丁寧に診る。
それは医師として当然の務めです。
しかし、
震災は私に、
もう一つの視点を教えてくれました。
「今日は来なかった人は、大丈夫だろうか。」
避難所では、
誰もが同じ場所で暮らしていました。
だから、
体調が悪ければ誰かが気づきました。
仮設住宅では違いました。
部屋に閉じこもれば、
誰にも気づかれません。
診察室も同じです。
受診した人は診られます。
でも、
受診できない人は、
どうでしょう。
体が悪くて来られない人。
心が疲れて外へ出られない人。
「迷惑をかけたくない。」
そう思って一人で耐えている人。
あるいは、
自分が医療を必要としていることにさえ、
まだ気づいていない人。
私は震災の中で、
何度もそんな人たちと出会いました。
だから、
私の問いは変わりました。
「今日は何人診たか。」
ではありません。
「今日は、誰に会えていないのだろう。」
その問いは、
十五年経った今も、
毎朝、私の心の中にあります。
2026年の私より
だから私は、
病院を出ます。
地域のお祭りへ。
学校へ。
サロンへ。
商業施設へ。
健康イベントへ。
人が集まる場所へ行くのは、
集まった人だけを見るためではありません。
その場をきっかけに、
今まで医療につながっていなかった人と出会うためです。
そして、
イベントにも来られない人がいることを、
決して忘れないためです。
家庭医療とは、
目の前の患者さんだけを診る医療ではありません。
まだ出会っていない人を想像する医療です。
あるベテラン家庭医が、
私にこんな言葉をくださいました。
「家庭医とは、そこにいない人を意識する仕事なんですよ。」
その言葉を聞いた時、
私は震災後に仮設住宅でノックした、
あの静かな扉を思い出しました。
返事のなかった部屋。
閉じられたカーテン。
その向こうにいた、
誰にも気づかれない孤独。
あの日の経験は、
十五年経った今も、
私の診療の原点です。
だから私は、
これからも病院を出ます。
診察室で待つだけではなく、
人が暮らす場所へ歩いて行きます。
そこには、
まだ医療と出会っていない人がいます。
そして、
その一歩こそが、
私にとっての
「医療を街に置く」
ということなのです。
Bringing Healthcare into the Community
The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey
Episode 49 – Caring for the People We Have Not Yet Met
The earthquake changed the way I practised medicine.
Every day,
patients continued to come into my consultation room.
Listening carefully to the person sitting before me
has always been the responsibility of every physician.
But the disaster taught me to ask a different question.
"Who is not here today?"
In the evacuation centres,
everyone shared the same space.
If someone became ill,
someone else usually noticed.
In temporary housing,
everything changed.
A closed door could hide loneliness.
A silent room could hide suffering.
The same is true in the clinic.
We can care for those who come.
But what about those who cannot?
Those whose bodies are too weak to travel.
Those whose hearts are too exhausted to leave home.
Those who quietly endure alone because they do not wish to burden anyone.
Or those who do not yet realise
that they need medical care at all.
During the months after the earthquake,
I met many people like them.
From that time on,
the question guiding my work changed.
Not,
"How many patients did I see today?"
But rather,
"Whom did I fail to meet today?"
Fifteen years later,
I still begin many mornings with that same question.
Reflection from 2026
That is why I continue to leave the hospital.
I go to community festivals.
Schools.
Local salons.
Shopping centres.
Health promotion events.
Not simply to meet the people who have already gathered.
But to create opportunities
to meet those who have never reached healthcare.
And to remind myself
that there will always be people
who cannot even come to those events.
Some years ago,
a senior family physician shared a sentence that has remained with me ever since.
"Family medicine is the work of being mindful of the people who are not there."
The moment I heard those words,
I remembered the doors I had knocked on in the temporary housing communities after the earthquake.
The curtains that never opened.
The rooms that remained silent.
The loneliness that no one else could see.
Those quiet moments became the foundation of the way I practise medicine today.
That is why I continue to walk beyond the walls of the hospital.
Not because every answer lies in the community,
but because some people will never find healthcare
unless healthcare first finds them.
To me,
that is what it truly means
to bring healthcare into the community.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿