2026年8月4日火曜日

Day 12 最期を看取るということ Day 12: Caring for the Final Chapter of Life

 

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第41話 Day 12 最期を看取るということ

2011年3月22日。

避難所を巡回し、病院へ戻ると、一つの連絡が入りました。

病院の近くの施設で暮らしていた、100歳近い女性が、静かに人生の終わりを迎えようとしていました。

私は施設へ向かいました。

その方は、長い人生を穏やかに生き抜き、自然な老衰の経過をたどっていました。

その日もまた、震災とは関係のない一人の人生が、静かに幕を閉じようとしていたのです。

ただ、一つだけ普段と違うことがありました。

ご家族は、西日本へ避難していました。

地震。

津波。

そして原子力災害。

三つの災害が重なった福島では、

家族が離ればなれになることも珍しくありませんでした。

本当なら、

最期の時間を一緒に過ごしたかったはずです。

最期の「ありがとう」を伝えたかったはずです。

最期の手を握りたかったはずです。

それでも、その願いは叶いませんでした。

私は、その方の最期に立ち会いました。

静かな時間でした。

「災害医療」という言葉から、多くの人は救急医療を思い浮かべます。

命を救うこと。

負傷者を治療すること。

もちろん、それは極めて重要です。

しかし、地域ではもう一つの医療が続いていました。

人生の終わりを支える医療です。

災害が起きても、

人は生まれ、

病気になり、

歳を重ね、

人生を終えます。

その営みは止まりません。

だから家庭医は、

災害だけを診るのではなく、

その人の人生そのものを支え続けるのだと思いました。


2026年の私より

震災から十五年が経ちました。

今でもあの日を思い返すたびに、

「家族と最期を過ごせなかった人」がいたことを忘れることはありません。

災害は建物だけではなく、

人と人との時間まで奪います。

だからこそ、

私たちは残された時間を大切にしたい。

今、私がACP(人生会議)を伝え続けている理由も、

ここにあります。

人生の最期を、誰と、どこで、どのように迎えたいのか。

それは平時だからこそ話し合えることです。

災害は、その機会を突然奪ってしまうことがあります。

あの日、私は一人の人生を看取りました。

そして同時に、

「最期を迎える人には、平時も災害時もない。」

ということを学びました。

だから私は今日も、

命だけではなく、

人生そのものに寄り添う医療を続けています。


Bringing Healthcare into the Community

The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey

Episode 41 – Day 12: Caring for the Final Chapter of Life

March 22, 2011.

After returning from my rounds of the evacuation shelters, I received a call.

A woman, nearly one hundred years old, who had been living in a care facility near our hospital, was approaching the end of her life.

I went to see her.

She had lived a long and peaceful life, and her final days were unfolding naturally with the quiet dignity of old age.

Even amid one of the greatest disasters in Japan's history, another life was gently reaching its conclusion.

There was, however, one heartbreaking difference from what I had known before.

Her family was no longer there.

They had evacuated to western Japan.

The earthquake.

The tsunami.

The nuclear accident.

Together, these three disasters had scattered countless families across the country.

They had wanted to stay.

They had wanted to hold her hand one last time.

To whisper "thank you."

To say goodbye.

But circumstances had taken that opportunity away.

I remained with her until the end.

It was a quiet farewell.

When people hear the words "disaster medicine," they often imagine emergency treatment, trauma care, and lives saved in moments of crisis.

All of those things are essential.

But while those dramatic scenes unfolded, another kind of medicine continued quietly in our community.

The medicine of accompanying a person through the final chapter of life.

Even during a disaster,

people continue to be born.

They continue to fall ill.

They continue to grow old.

And they continue to die.

Life does not pause because disaster has struck.

That day, I realised that the role of a family physician is not only to respond to emergencies.

It is to remain beside people throughout the whole journey of life—

including its final moments.


Reflection from 2026

Fifteen years have passed since that day.

Yet I still remember those who were unable to spend the final moments of a loved one's life together.

Disasters do not only destroy buildings.

They also steal precious moments that can never be reclaimed.

Perhaps that is why I continue to speak about Advance Care Planning (ACP).

Conversations about where we wish to spend our final days…

Who we hope will be beside us…

What matters most to us…

These are conversations we can have while life is calm.

A disaster may take that opportunity away without warning.

On that day, I cared for one woman at the end of her life.

But I also learned something that has remained with me ever since.

There is no distinction between ordinary times and disasters for someone approaching the end of life.

A person's final chapter deserves the same dignity,

the same compassion,

and the same presence,

whatever the circumstances.

That is why, even today,

I strive not only to care for disease,

but to accompany each person's life—

right to its very end.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿