医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―
第53話 18年後の「おかえり」
昨夜は、夏期休暇を利用して英国からかしま病院へ見学に来ている医学生、Enzo君の歓迎会でした。
せっかく日本へ来たのだから。
せっかく、いわきへ来てくれたのだから。
診察室や病院の中だけではなく、この街の空気も、人も、食も、全部ひっくるめて味わってもらいたい。
ということで、
乾杯!
そしてまた、
乾杯!!
さらに、
乾杯!!!(笑)
最初から最後まで、何度乾杯したのか分かりません。
そして最後は、山岡家のラーメン。
日本の地域医療を学びに来た英国の医学生に、深夜のラーメンまで体験していただきました(笑)。
これもきっと、日本文化です。
たぶん。
そんな楽しい夜が明けた今朝。
ロンドンから一通のメッセージが届きました。
“Wow! So pleased you have both met. Thank you for making Enzo so welcome. Kampai!”
送り主は、Patrick Hutt先生。
Enzo君の指導医です。
そして、私にとっては懐かしい友人でもあります。
時計を18年ほど巻き戻します。
2008年頃。
Patrickもまた、英国で総合診療を学ぶ若い専攻医として、かしま病院へ見学にやって来ました。
そして、石井家にホームステイしました。
一緒に地域医療を見て、
一緒に話して、
一緒に食卓を囲みました。
あの頃は、私たちが若いPatrickを迎えていました。
そして約18年後の2026年。
今度は、そのPatrickが指導する若い医学生が、ロンドンからいわきへやって来ました。
昨夜の写真を眺めながら、
なんとも不思議な気持ちになりました。
「ああ、プライマリ・ケアって、こうやって受け継がれていくのかもしれないな。」
医学教育というと、
カリキュラム。
研修プログラム。
講義。
実習。
そんな言葉を思い浮かべます。
もちろん、どれも大切です。
でも、人を育てるものは、それだけではないのかもしれません。
一緒に患者さんを診る。
地域を歩く。
「どうして日本ではこうするの?」
そんな素朴な疑問について語り合う。
同じ食卓を囲む。
そして、
何度も乾杯する(笑)。
そんな時間の中だからこそ、伝わるものがあります。
医学の知識だけではありません。
その土地で人がどう暮らしているのか。
医療者が地域とどう付き合っているのか。
そして、
医師として、どう人と向き合うのか。
それは、教科書だけでは伝えられません。
人から人へ伝わっていくものです。
2008年。
英国から一人の若い医師が、いわきへやって来ました。
2026年。
その医師が育てている一人の医学生が、またいわきへやって来ました。
人から人へ。
地域から地域へ。
世代から世代へ。
プライマリ・ケアは、そうやって旅をするのかもしれません。
そして、その旅は一方通行ではありません。
Patrickから私が学んだことがあります。
Enzo君から今日、改めて気づかされたことがあります。
きっと彼らも、いわきから何かを持ち帰ってくれるでしょう。
教える人と、教えられる人。
迎える人と、迎えられる人。
そんな境界線を越えて、お互いが学び合う。
それこそが、プライマリ・ケアの面白さなのだと思います。
Patrickは今朝のメッセージの最後に、
「近いうちに日本へ行けたら」
と書いてくれました。
ぜひ来てください。
今度はEnzo君ではなく、
Patrick本人に18年ぶりの
「おかえり」
を言いたいと思います。
そしてその時も、きっと乾杯するでしょう。
一度ではなく、
何度も(笑)。
そして、いつの日か。
Enzo君が医師になり、
誰かを育てる立場になって、
その教え子がまた、いわきへやって来てくれたなら。
その時、私は何歳になっているのでしょう(笑)。
それでも私は、きっと同じ言葉で迎えます。
「おかえりなさい。ようこそ、いわきへ。」
医療を街に置くという営みは、
一つの地域だけで完結するものではありません。
人と人が出会い、
地域と地域がつながり、
世代を越えて受け継がれていく。
昨夜、何度目か分からない乾杯をしながら、
そのことを少しだけ実感しました。
Kampai!🍻
Bringing Healthcare into the Community
The Kashima Model: A Twenty-Year Journey
Episode 53 – “Welcome Back” After Eighteen Years
Last night, we held a welcome dinner for Enzo, a medical student from the UK who is spending part of his summer holiday observing and learning at Kashima Hospital.
He had come all the way to Japan.
And all the way to Iwaki.
So I wanted him to experience more than consulting rooms and hospital corridors.
I wanted him to experience the people, the atmosphere, the food—and everyday life in our community.
So, naturally:
Kampai!
And then:
Kampai again!!
And then:
Kampai once more!!!
Actually, I have no idea how many times we raised our glasses from beginning to end.(笑)
And how did we finish the evening?
With a bowl of ramen at Yamaokaya.
A British medical student came to Japan to learn about community medicine—and somehow ended up experiencing late-night Japanese ramen as well.
Surely that counts as cultural education.
Probably.
The following morning, after that wonderful evening, I received a message from London.
“Wow! So pleased you have both met. Thank you for making Enzo so welcome. Kampai!”
It was from Dr Patrick Hutt.
Patrick is one of Enzo's mentors.
But to me, he is also an old friend.
Let us turn the clock back about eighteen years.
Around 2008, Patrick himself came to Kashima Hospital.
At the time, he was a young doctor training in general practice in the UK.
He came to Iwaki to learn with us and stayed with my family.
We experienced community medicine together.
We talked.
We shared meals.
We spent time together.
Back then, we were the ones welcoming a young Patrick to Iwaki.
And now, eighteen years later, in 2026,
a medical student whom Patrick is helping to train has travelled from London to Iwaki.
Looking at the photograph from last night, I found myself thinking:
Perhaps this is how primary care is passed on.
When we think about medical education, we tend to think of curricula.
Training programmes.
Lectures.
Clinical placements.
Of course, all of these are important.
But perhaps they are not the only things that shape a doctor.
Seeing patients together.
Walking through the community.
Discussing simple questions such as,
"Why do you do it this way in Japan?"
Sharing a table.
And, apparently,
raising our glasses again and again.(笑)
There are things that can only be passed on through moments like these.
Not simply medical knowledge.
But an understanding of how people live in a particular place.
How healthcare professionals become part of their community.
And, perhaps most importantly,
how we choose to meet another human being as a doctor.
These things cannot be taught through textbooks alone.
They travel from person to person.
In 2008,
a young doctor came from the UK to Iwaki.
In 2026,
a medical student being taught by that doctor came to Iwaki again.
From person to person.
From community to community.
From generation to generation.
Perhaps this is how primary care travels.
And that journey is never one-way.
There are things I learned from Patrick.
There are things Enzo has already helped me rediscover during his time here.
And I hope that he, too, will take something from Iwaki back home with him.
Teacher and learner.
Host and guest.
Those boundaries begin to disappear when we learn from one another.
Perhaps that is one of the most wonderful things about primary care.
In his message this morning, Patrick wrote that he hoped to visit Japan again in the near future.
Please do.
Next time, instead of welcoming Enzo,
I would love to say to Patrick himself, after eighteen years:
“Welcome back.”
And when that happens, I am sure we will raise our glasses again.
Not just once.
Probably many times.(笑)
And perhaps, one day,
Enzo will become a doctor,
then a teacher himself,
and one of the young people he mentors will find their way to Iwaki.
I wonder how old I will be by then.(笑)
But I hope I will still be here to greet them with the same words:
“Welcome back. Welcome to Iwaki.”
Bringing healthcare into the community is not something that belongs to one town or one country.
People meet people.
Communities connect with communities.
And something is passed from one generation to the next.
Last night, somewhere between one kampai and the next,
I think I caught a glimpse of that journey.
Kampai! 🍻

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿