2026年9月3日木曜日

「食べられない」で、終わらせない。 Don’t Let “They Can’t Eat” Be the End of the Conversation

医療を街に置く ― かしまモデル 二十年の軌跡 ―

第69話 「食べられない」で、終わらせない。

「とろみ、お願いします」

医者は簡単に言います。

「食形態、調整してください」

これも簡単に言います。

「誤嚥に気をつけてください」

……気をつけるのは、誰だ(笑)。

そんなことを考えさせられた研修会でした。

今回のテーマは、嚥下調整食

食べる力が弱くなった人に、安全に、そしてできるだけおいしく食べてもらうための食事です。

ところが、話を聞けば聞くほど分かってきました。

これは単なる、

「柔らかくする技術」

ではありませんでした。


前回、私は「丸投げ」した

私は、いわき集団栄養給食研究会の会長を務めています。

前回の研修会のテーマは「看取り期の栄養」でした。

とても大切なテーマだったにもかかわらず、私は都合がつかず、挨拶文だけ送りつけて欠席しました。

そこで今回、冒頭の会長挨拶で謝りました。

「前回の私は、会長挨拶を経口摂取せず、事務局に経管投与してしまいました」

そして、

「これを嚥下ではなく、丸投げと言います」

……。

会場、くすくす。

いや、思ったより笑わない。

「こんなに滑るとは思いませんでした(笑)」

結局、滑ったことのほうで少し笑っていただきました。

今回は「食べる」がテーマです。

さすがに丸投げせず、ちゃんと会場へ馳せ参じました。


「ビールが飲みたい」

前回の研修会のあと、事務局から嬉しい報告を聞きました。

看取り期の患者さんが、

「ビールが飲みたい」

と希望された。

そこで、炭酸飲料にも使えるとろみ剤を工夫して、実際に飲んでいただいたそうです。

別の患者さんは、

「刺身が食べたい」

と希望された。

お刺身を用意してみると、お刺身だけでなく、ほかの食事まで食べることができた。

私は、この話がとても好きです。

栄養は、

カロリーや、

たんぱく質や、

水分量の数字だけではない。

「食べたい」という気持ちそのものが、人を元気にすることがある。

そして、その「食べたい」を聞いたとき、

「危ないからダメです」

で終わるのか。

それとも、

「じゃあ、どうしたら食べられるだろう?」

と考えるのか。

今日の研修会は、その「どうしたら?」を学ぶ時間でした。


刻めば優しい、とは限らない

最初に、私の常識が一つ壊れました。

嚥下が悪くなった。

だから、細かく刻む。

なんとなく、それで食べやすくなるような気がします。

ところが、硬いものは、

細かく刻んでも、硬い。

講演では、きゅうりの切り方による咀嚼回数の違いが示されました。

ぶつ切りよりも、

輪切りよりも、

みじん切りのほうが咀嚼回数が多い。

細かな粒が口の中に散らばれば、それをまとめて飲み込める状態にしなければなりません。

つまり、

「小さくする」ことと、
「食べやすくする」ことは、同じではない。

「嚥下が悪そうだから、刻みで」

医者が言いがちな言葉です。

では、

「何のために刻むんですか?」

と聞かれたら。

……急に目をそらす医者が増えるかもしれません(笑)。


「安全」の中に、チャレンジがある

もう一つ印象的だったのが、嚥下調整食学会分類2021の説明でした。

私はなんとなく、

「この人はこのコードだから、食事は全部この形」

という使い方を想像していました。

ところが、そう単純ではない。

資料には、

「同じ食材、同じメニューですべてのコードを用意する必要はない」

とあります。

そして図の中には、

安全に食べやすいものだけではなく、

なんと、

「チャレンジ」

という言葉がありました。

これは大切だと思いました。

嚥下障害があるから、

できることを全部取り上げるのではない。

安全に食べられるものを確保しながら、

その人の状態に合わせて、

食べられる可能性も残しておく。

「危ないから、やめる」

だけではなく、

「どうしたら、できる?」

を考える。

考えてみれば、これは食事だけの話ではありません。

高齢者医療でも、

リハビリでも、

ACPでも、

私たちがいつも向き合っている問いです。


食べやすくしたら、栄養が薄くなった

さらに、もう一つ落とし穴がありました。

嚥下調整食では、食べられる量そのものが少なくなりやすい。

そのうえ、食材をミキサーにかけてペースト状にするとき、水やだし汁を加えることがあります。

なめらかになる。

ミキサーも回しやすくなる。

食べやすくなる。

ところが、

栄養も薄まる。

ただでさえ一度に食べられる量が少ない人の食事を、

さらに水で薄めていたら、

必要なエネルギーや栄養を確保するのが難しくなります。

安全に食べられるようにした結果、

低栄養になってしまった。

それでは困ります。


「加水0式」という発想

そこで登場したのが、

「加水0式調理法」

でした。

水やだし汁で食事を薄めるのではなく、

栄養を持つ素材を「つなぎ」として使う。

紹介された方法の一つでは、水分の代わりに「お粥ミキサーゼリー」を使ってペースト食をつくります。

資料の鮭の例では、

通常のペースト食が57 kcal

お粥ミキサーゼリーを使ったものでは80 kcal

同じように食べやすくするにしても、

一口あたりの栄養価を高めることができる。

なるほど。

嚥下調整食とは、

「柔らかくする技術」だけではなく、
「一口の価値を高める技術」

でもあったのです。


食べられる量が少ないなら、一口を濃くする

これは、私にはとても印象的な発想でした。

私たちは、食べられなくなった人を見ると、

つい「引き算」をします。

硬いものをなくす。

大きなものをなくす。

危ないものをなくす。

食べられないものをなくす。

でも今日教わったのは、

足し算の発想

でした。

食べられる量が少ないなら、

一口の価値を高める。

見た目が寂しくなるなら、

おいしそうに見えるようにする。

味を残す。

香りを残す。

栄養を残す。

そして、

「食べたい」という気持ちを残す。

食事の形は変わっても、
その人の「食べる」を薄めてはいけない。

そういうことなのだと思います。


医者は、蚊帳の外だった(笑)

講演の途中、一枚の図が映し出されました。

真ん中には、

「嚥下調整食」

その周りに、

管理栄養士・厨房。

看護師・介護士。

そして患者さん。

それぞれにメリットが書かれています。

患者さんは食事を楽しめる。

安心して食べられる。

摂取量が増えれば、ADLが改善する可能性もある。

自分で食べられるようになれば、看護師や介護士の食事介助の負担も減る。

私は図をしばらく眺めていて、

あることに気づきました。

医者がいない(笑)。

会長なのに、

蚊帳の外です。

でも、

笑っている場合でもありません。

考えてみれば、私たち医師は、

「誤嚥に気をつけて」

「食形態を調整して」

「とろみ、お願いします」

と言ったところで、

なんとなく仕事をした気になっていなかっただろうか。

でも、その

「お願いします」

の先に、

これだけの仕事があったのです。


一皿の向こうに、たくさんの人がいる

嚥下調整食をより良いものにしようとすると、

当然、コストもかかります。

調理の手間も増えます。

厨房だけを見れば、

「大変になる」

という話に見えるかもしれません。

でも、今日の講演では、

もう少し広く見ることを教わりました。

見た目が良くなる。

味や香りが良くなる。

栄養密度が上がる。

患者さんが安心して食べる。

食べる量が増える。

食事を楽しむ。

その先に、栄養状態やADLの改善の可能性がある。

自分で食べられるようになれば、

食事介助の負担が減るかもしれない。

介護する人の負担まで変わるかもしれない。

つまり、

「食事を良くする」という一つの仕事が、
患者さんの暮らしを変え、
ほかの職種の仕事まで変える可能性がある。

一皿の向こうには、

思っていた以上にたくさんの人がいました。

医者も、そろそろ蚊帳から出たほうがよさそうです(笑)。


点数がついて、急に偉くなる

今回の研修では、診療報酬改定についても学びました。

嚥下調整食の提供が、一定の条件のもとで制度上評価されるようになりました。

会長挨拶でも話しましたが、

診療報酬というのは不思議なものです。

これまでずっと大切だった仕事が、

点数がついた瞬間に、

ものすごく大切な仕事として会議で取り上げられる(笑)。

でも、逆に考えれば、

これまで現場の皆さんが工夫してきたことの価値が、

制度としても評価されるようになったということです。

診療報酬がついたから大切なのではありません。

大切だった仕事に、ようやく点数がついた。

私は、そう受け取りたいと思います。


同じお皿の上に載せる

実は今日、講演を聞く前の会長挨拶で、

私はこんなことを話しました。

嚥下調整食とは、

単なる「食形態の変更」ではない。

安全と、
おいしさと、
その人らしさ。

この三つを、

なんとか同じお皿の上に載せる技術なのではないか。

講演を聞き終えて、

少し訂正したくなりました。

三つでは足りませんでした。

安全。

食べやすさ。

栄養。

味。

香り。

見た目。

温度。

そして、

その人の「食べたい」。

ずいぶん盛りだくさんです。

でも、それらを一つのお皿の上に載せようと、

管理栄養士さんも、

調理する人も、

看護師さんも、

介護士さんも、

リハビリ職も、

そして本当は医師も、

知恵を出し合う。

それが、

「食べる」を支える

ということなのだと思います。


「食べられない」で、終わらせない

前回の研修会では、

看取り期の患者さんの

「ビールが飲みたい」

「刺身が食べたい」

という希望から始まりました。

そして今日、

その先にある技術を教えてもらいました。

「食べられない」

と判定することはできます。

「危険です」

と説明することもできます。

でも、そこで終わらずに、

もう一言続けたい。

「じゃあ、どうしたら食べられる?」

刻めばいいとは限らない。

柔らかくすれば終わりでもない。

安全だけでも足りない。

栄養だけでも足りない。

そして、

食べられるだけでも足りない。

食べたいものを、
できるだけ安全に、
できるだけおいしく、
その人らしく食べる。

そのために、

みんなで考える。

だから医者も、

「とろみ、お願いします」

で丸投げしてはいけません(笑)。

「食べられない」で、終わらせない。

「危ないから、やめましょう」で、終わらせない。

「どうしたら食べられる?」を、みんなで考える。

食べられる量が少なくなったなら、

一口の価値を高める。

食事の形が変わっても、

その人の「食べる」を薄めない。

医療を街に置く。

それはきっと、

病気を診ることだけではなく、

その人が最後まで

「食べたい」

と言える暮らしを支えることでもあります。

それが、私たちの挑戦です。

石井 敦


Bringing Healthcare into the Community — Twenty Years of the Kashima Model

Episode 69 — Don’t Let “They Can’t Eat” Be the End of the Conversation

“Please add some thickener.”

Doctors say it easily.

“Please modify the food texture.”

That comes easily too.

“Please make sure they don’t aspirate.”

…And who exactly is supposed to make sure?(笑)

That was one of the things I found myself thinking about during today’s seminar.

The theme was dysphagia-adjusted diets—meals designed to help people with swallowing difficulties eat as safely, comfortably, and enjoyably as possible.

But the more I listened, the more I realized:

This is not simply a technique for

making food softer.

It is something much more profound.


Last Time, I Delegated Everything

I serve as chair of the Iwaki Institutional Nutrition and Food Service Study Group.

Our previous seminar focused on nutrition during the end-of-life period.

It was an important topic.

And yet, I could not attend.

I simply sent in my written opening remarks and left everything to the secretariat.

So today, I began with an apology.

“Last time, instead of delivering my remarks orally, I essentially sent them through a feeding tube to the secretariat.”

And then:

“That wasn’t swallowing. That was dumping the whole thing on someone else.”

A few chuckles.

Not quite the reaction I had imagined.

“I didn’t expect that joke to fail quite this badly.”(笑)

That got a slightly better laugh.

This time, however, the subject was eating by mouth.

So I decided I had better show up and deliver my remarks orally myself.


“I Want a Beer”

After the previous seminar, the secretariat shared a wonderful story with me.

A patient approaching the end of life said:

“I want a beer.”

So the staff experimented with a thickening agent that could also be used with carbonated beverages and found a way for the patient to actually enjoy some beer.

Another patient said:

“I want sashimi.”

They prepared sashimi.

And something unexpected happened.

The patient not only ate the sashimi, but also managed to eat some of the other food on the tray.

I love these stories.

Nutrition is not only about numbers.

Calories.

Protein.

Fluid intake.

Sometimes,

the desire to eat itself can give a person energy.

And when someone tells us,

“I want to eat that,”

we have a choice.

We can say:

“It’s too dangerous. You can’t.”

Or we can ask:

“Then how could we make it possible?”

Today’s seminar was about learning how to answer that second question.


Chopping Food Smaller Does Not Necessarily Make It Easier

One of my assumptions was quickly overturned.

Someone has difficulty swallowing.

So we chop the food into smaller pieces.

Somehow, that feels as though it ought to make eating easier.

But hard food remains

hard food—even when finely chopped.

During the seminar, we were shown data comparing the number of chewing movements required for cucumber prepared in different ways.

Surprisingly, finely chopped cucumber required more chewing than larger cuts in the example presented.

When tiny pieces scatter throughout the mouth, the person still has to gather them together into a cohesive bolus before swallowing.

In other words,

making something smaller
is not the same as
making it easier to eat.

“Swallowing seems difficult, so let’s give them minced food.”

Doctors say things like that all the time.

But if someone were to ask,

“Why exactly are you mincing it?”

quite a few doctors might suddenly become very interested in looking somewhere else.(笑)


Leaving Room for a “Challenge” Within Safety

Another point that struck me came from the Japanese Dysphagia Diet 2021 classification.

I had vaguely imagined it like this:

“This patient is at this code, so everything on the tray should be prepared at that level.”

But it is not quite so simple.

One of the materials emphasized that there is no need to prepare every ingredient and every item on a menu according to exactly the same code.

And in one diagram, alongside foods considered easy or appropriate for the patient, there was another category:

“Challenge.”

I liked that word.

Having dysphagia does not mean that we must remove every possibility from a person’s life.

We can establish foods that the person can eat safely,

while still leaving room—depending on their condition—

to explore what might still be possible.

Not simply:

“It’s dangerous, so stop.”

But:

“How could we make this possible?”

Come to think of it, this is not only about food.

We ask the same question in geriatric medicine.

In rehabilitation.

In advance care planning.

It is one of the fundamental questions of caring for people.


We Made It Easier to Swallow—and Diluted the Nutrition

Then came another trap.

People who need dysphagia-adjusted diets often eat smaller amounts to begin with.

And when food is blended into a smooth purée, water or broth may be added to help the blender work and achieve the desired consistency.

It becomes smoother.

It becomes easier to process.

It may become easier to eat.

But at the same time,

the nutritional density can fall.

If someone can already eat only a small amount, diluting that small amount with water makes it even more difficult to provide enough energy and nutrients.

We may have made the meal safer to swallow,

only to increase the risk of inadequate nutrition.

That cannot be the goal.


The Idea of “Zero Added Water”

Then I learned another new term:

the “zero-added-water” preparation method.

Instead of diluting food with water or broth, a nutrient-containing ingredient can be used as the binding medium.

One method introduced during the seminar uses a rice-porridge mixer gel in place of added water when preparing puréed food.

In the salmon example shown in the seminar materials,

the conventional puréed preparation provided 57 kcal.

The preparation using the rice-porridge mixer gel provided 80 kcal.

The food could still be made easier to eat,

but with greater nutritional value in each mouthful.

That was when I realized:

A dysphagia-adjusted diet is not merely

a technique for making food softer.

It can also be

a technique for increasing the value of every bite.


When Someone Can Eat Less, Make Each Bite Count More

That idea stayed with me.

When someone loses the ability to eat normally, healthcare tends to respond by subtracting things.

Remove what is hard.

Remove what is large.

Remove what seems dangerous.

Remove what cannot be eaten.

But today I learned about another approach:

addition.

If someone can eat only a little,

increase the value of each bite.

If the food looks unappealing,

make it look appetizing again.

Preserve the taste.

Preserve the aroma.

Preserve the nutrition.

And preserve the person’s

desire to eat.

The form of the food may change.

But we should not

dilute the meaning of eating itself.


The Doctor Was Outside the Circle(笑)

At one point during the lecture, a diagram appeared on the screen.

In the center:

Dysphagia-Adjusted Diet

Around it were:

Dietitians and kitchen staff.

Nurses and care workers.

And patients.

The diagram showed possible benefits for each.

Patients may enjoy their meals more.

They may feel safer eating.

Better intake may contribute to improved nutritional status and potentially to better ADL.

If people can eat more independently, the burden of mealtime assistance on nurses and care workers may also decrease.

I stared at the diagram for a moment.

Then I noticed something.

There was no doctor.(笑)

I am the chair of the meeting,

and apparently my profession was outside the circle.

But perhaps this was not entirely a laughing matter.

How often have we physicians said:

“Watch out for aspiration.”

“Modify the food texture.”

“Please add some thickener.”

—and then felt as though our work was finished?

Yet beyond that casual

“please”

was an enormous amount of work that I had barely seen.


There Are Many People Behind a Single Plate

Providing better dysphagia-adjusted meals can cost more.

It can also require more preparation and more work in the kitchen.

If we look only at the kitchen, it may simply appear to be

“more work.”

But today’s lecture invited us to widen the lens.

Improve the appearance.

Preserve the flavor and aroma.

Increase nutrient density.

Help the patient feel safe enough to eat.

Help them eat more.

Help them enjoy eating again.

And beyond that, there may be improvements in nutritional status and daily function.

If a person becomes more independent at mealtimes,

the burden of feeding assistance may decrease.

The burden of care itself may change.

In other words,

improving a meal may change the patient’s life—and may even change the work of the other professionals caring for that person.

There were far more people connected to a single plate than I had realized.

Perhaps it is time for doctors to come back inside the circle too.(笑)


Suddenly Important Because It Has a Reimbursement Code

Today’s seminar also covered changes in Japan’s medical reimbursement system.

Under defined conditions, the provision of dysphagia-adjusted meals can now receive formal reimbursement.

As I said in my opening remarks, reimbursement systems have a curious power.

Work that professionals have considered important for years suddenly receives a billing code and—

everyone starts discussing how extremely important it is at meetings.(笑)

But there is another way to look at it.

It means that work people on the front lines have already been doing carefully and creatively is now being formally recognized.

It is not important because reimbursement has appeared.

Reimbursement has appeared because the work was important all along.

That is how I prefer to see it.


Putting Everything on the Same Plate

Before the lecture began, I said something in my opening remarks.

I said that a dysphagia-adjusted diet is not simply a

“change in food texture.”

It is a technique for somehow placing three things on the same plate:

Safety.
Deliciousness.
And the person’s individuality.

After listening to the lecture,

I realized I needed to revise that.

Three were nowhere near enough.

Safety.

Ease of eating.

Nutrition.

Taste.

Aroma.

Appearance.

Temperature.

And the person’s own

“I want to eat this.”

That is quite a lot to fit onto one plate.

Yet dietitians,

kitchen staff,

nurses,

care workers,

rehabilitation professionals,

and, yes, physicians too,

bring their knowledge together and try to make it happen.

That, I think, is what it means

to support a person in eating.


Don’t Let “They Can’t Eat” Be the End of the Conversation

At our previous seminar, everything began with two wishes from people approaching the end of life:

“I want a beer.”

“I want sashimi.”

Today, we learned about the techniques that can come after those words.

We can determine that someone cannot eat something.

We can explain that it is dangerous.

But perhaps we should not stop there.

Perhaps we should add one more question:

“Then how could we make it possible?”

Chopping food smaller is not necessarily the answer.

Making everything softer is not enough.

Safety alone is not enough.

Nutrition alone is not enough.

And simply being able to swallow something is not enough.

To eat what you want,
as safely as possible,
as deliciously as possible,
in a way that still feels like you.

That is what we should think about together.

Which means doctors cannot simply say,

“Please add some thickener,”

and dump the rest on everyone else.(笑)

Don’t let “They can’t eat” be the end of the conversation.

Don’t let “It’s too dangerous” be the end of the conversation.

Instead, let us ask together:

“How could we help this person eat?”

When someone can eat less,

make each bite count more.

Even when the form of the food must change,

do not dilute the meaning of eating.

Bringing healthcare into the community means more than treating disease.

It also means supporting a life in which, right to the very end, a person can still say:

“I want to eat that.”

And having people around them willing to ask:

“Then how can we make it possible?”

Bringing healthcare into the community.

That is our challenge.

Atsushi Ishii

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿