第83話 いい意味で、癖がついた。
半年間、かしま病院で総合診療を研修してきた初期研修医と、あらためて振り返る機会がありました。
「この半年で、一番大きかったことは何だった?」
返ってきたのは、医学知識や手技の話ではありませんでした。
「患者さんの背景まで見るようになったことです。」
最初から自然にできていたわけではありません。
研修を始めたころは、
「患者さんの生活背景も見なくてはいけない」
と、自分で意識しないと、そこまで視線を広げられなかったそうです。
ところが、半年近くたった今は違います。
「今までは自分から意識して見ないと、そこを深掘りできなかったんですけど、最近は自然に、当たり前のこととして見るようになってきているかなと思います。」
それを聞いて、思わず言いました。
「いい意味で、癖がついちゃったんだね。」
「そうですね。いい意味で、癖がついちゃってますね(笑)」
救急外来でも、出てくる
面白いのは、その「癖」が、かしま病院の中だけのものではなくなったことです。
彼はかしま病院での研修期間中も、定期的にいわき市医療センターで救急当直を行っていました。
救急外来ですから、まず考えるのは重症度と緊急性です。
この所見は何を意味するのか。
危険な病気が隠れていないか。
今すぐ検査や治療が必要ではないか。
限られた時間の中で判断していきます。
ところが最近、そこに別の問いが自然に入ってくるようになったそうです。
「この人、家に帰って薬をちゃんと飲めるのかな。」
「一人暮らしだけど、この状態で、本当に元の生活に戻れるのかな。」
病気を診ることをやめたわけではありません。
重症度を判断しなくなったわけでもありません。
本人の言葉を借りれば、
「そこに、加えて、という感じです。」
病気を見る。
そして、その向こうにいる人も見る。
以前は意識して追加していた視点が、少しずつ診療の中に溶け込んできました。
質問が増えた
では、患者さんとの会話も変わったのか。
訊いてみました。
もともと患者さんとは比較的よく話す先生です。
大きく変わったのは、会話の長さではありませんでした。
「自分から探るようになりました。」
以前は、救急外来なら救急外来なりの問診のフォーマットがあり、それに沿って質問することが多かった。
ところが今は、診察を進めながら、
「あ、これも考えなくてはいけないな」
「この人の場合は、ここを聞いておいたほうがいいな」
と、問いが浮かんでくる。
そして、その都度訊く。
「あまりフォーマットにとらわれずに、必要そうだなと思ったことを聞くようになりました。」
ここは、とても大きな変化だと思います。
問診項目が増えたのではない
患者さんの背景まで見ようとすると、
「あれも聞かなければ」
「これも聞かなければ」
と、問診項目が増えて、診察時間が長くなるようにも思えます。
でも、私はむしろ逆のことも起こり得ると思っています。
「この患者さんにとって、今日、優先すべき問題は何だろう。」
そこを探るようになると、必要な質問が見えてくる。
フォーマットを最初から最後まで埋めるのではなく、その人にとって必要な問いを選ぶ。
一見遠回りに見える生活背景への質問が、実は核心への近道になることもあります。
つまり、
質問項目が増えたのではない。
問いが増えた。
そして、
問いが増えたからこそ、必要な質問を選べるようになってきた。
劇的には、変わらない
本人は、こう言いました。
「劇的な変化っていう感じじゃないですけど、以前より自然になってきたかなと思います。」
たぶん、そこが一番いい。
医師の成長は、ある朝突然、
「今日から全人的に診られるようになりました!」
とはなりません(笑)。
患者さんを診る。
家族の話を聞く。
退院後を考える。
家に行く。
地域を見る。
そしてまた、患者さんを診る。
それを繰り返しているうちに、
最初は意識してやっていたことが、
少しずつ、
意識しなくても出てくるようになる。
知識が増えただけではありません。
視線の向け方が変わっていく。
癖は、持って帰れる
半年間ですべてを教えることはできません。
医学知識なら、これからもいくらでも学べます。
専門医になれば、自分の領域をさらに深く学んでいくでしょう。
でも、半年という時間を一緒に過ごしたからこそ、身につくものもあるのかもしれません。
患者さんを診たときに、
まず病気のことを考える。
そして、その次に、
「で、この人は?」
と、つい考えてしまう。
さらに、
「この人、このあと暮らせるかな。」
と、もう一歩先まで想像してしまう。
それが、かしま病院で身についたものなら、
私はとても嬉しい。
彼はもうすぐ、ここでの半年間を終えます。
でも、
癖は、持って帰れます。
しかも、この癖は総合診療科でしか使えないものではありません。
救急外来でも。
専門診療でも。
どこで患者さんを診ても使える。
病気を深く診ることと、
人を広く見ることは、
どちらか一つを選ぶことではありません。
病気を診る。
そして、つい、その人の暮らしまで見てしまう。
そんな「いい癖」がついた医師が、また一人、次の場所へ戻っていきます。
それは、半年間一緒に診療した私たちにとって、とても嬉しい研修成果です。
医療を街に置く。
そのためには、知識を持ち帰ってもらうだけではなく、
視線の向け方まで、持ち帰ってもらう。
それも、私たちの挑戦です。
石井 敦
Episode 83 — A Good Habit Has Taken Root
I recently had another opportunity to reflect with a junior resident who has spent six months training in general practice at Kashima Hospital.
I asked him:
“What has been the biggest change for you over these six months?”
His answer was not about medical knowledge or procedures.
“I’ve started looking more at the patient’s background—their life beyond the illness.”
It had not come naturally at first.
At the beginning of his training, he had to consciously remind himself:
“I need to think about this patient’s life and circumstances, too.”
Otherwise, his attention tended to remain focused on the disease in front of him.
But now, nearly six months later, something has changed.
“Before, I had to consciously make myself look deeper into those things. But lately, I think I’ve started doing it naturally—as if it were just an ordinary part of seeing a patient.”
I smiled and said,
“So, in a good way, it’s become a habit.”
He laughed.
“Yes. In a good way, I think it has.”
It Shows Up in the Emergency Department, Too
What is particularly interesting is that this habit no longer appears only at Kashima Hospital.
During his training with us, he has also continued to work periodically in the emergency department at Iwaki City Medical Center.
In emergency medicine, the first priorities are naturally severity and urgency.
What does this finding mean?
Could there be a dangerous condition behind these symptoms?
Does this patient need immediate investigation or treatment?
Those decisions must often be made quickly.
But recently, other questions have begun to arise naturally alongside them.
“Will this person actually be able to take their medication properly once they get home?”
“This person lives alone. Even if the inflammation isn’t severe, can they really return to their usual life like this?”
He has not stopped thinking about disease.
He has not stopped assessing urgency.
As he put it:
“It’s more like I’ve added something to what I was already doing.”
See the disease.
And then see the person beyond it.
A perspective that once had to be consciously added has gradually become part of the way he practices medicine.
More Questions
I asked whether the way he talks with patients had changed as well.
He had always been someone who spent a reasonable amount of time talking with patients.
So the biggest change was not the length of the conversation.
It was this:
“I’ve started exploring things more on my own.”
Previously, particularly in emergency care, there was a certain format to the history-taking process, and he tended to follow it.
Now, as the consultation unfolds, new questions occur to him.
“Oh, I should think about this too.”
“For this particular patient, I probably need to ask about that.”
And when those questions arise, he asks them.
“I think I’m less tied to a fixed format now. I ask what seems necessary for that particular patient.”
That is a significant change.
It Is Not About Asking More Questions
When we talk about understanding a patient’s background, it can sound as though we are simply adding more items to the medical interview.
Ask about this.
Ask about that.
And before long, the consultation becomes longer and longer.
But sometimes the opposite may be true.
When we begin asking,
“What is the most important issue for this patient today?”
the questions that actually matter become clearer.
Instead of filling in every box on a standard template, we begin choosing the questions that matter for this person.
A question about daily life that initially looks like a detour may actually be the shortest route to the real problem.
In other words,
It is not that he has simply added more questions to his checklist.
He has developed more questions in his mind.
And because those questions are there,
he is gradually learning which questions are worth asking.
The Change Was Not Dramatic
He described his own growth like this:
“I wouldn’t say there was some dramatic change. It just feels more natural than it used to.”
Perhaps that is exactly what makes it meaningful.
Doctors do not wake up one morning and suddenly announce:
“Great! From today onward, I can provide whole-person care!”
If only it were that easy. (laughs)
You see patients.
You listen to their families.
You think about what happens after discharge.
You visit people in their homes.
You see the community in which they live.
And then you see another patient.
Again and again.
Eventually, something that once required conscious effort begins to happen almost automatically.
It is not simply that your knowledge has increased.
The direction of your gaze has changed.
You Can Take a Habit with You
We cannot teach everything in six months.
Medical knowledge can continue to grow throughout a career.
As he moves into his chosen specialty, he will go much deeper into his own field.
But perhaps there are some things that are best learned by spending time together, seeing patients together, over many months.
When a patient comes in, you think about the disease.
And then, almost without noticing, another question appears:
“But what about this person?”
And then another:
“Will this person actually be able to live their life after this?”
If that is something he has picked up during his time at Kashima Hospital, I could not be happier.
His six months with us are almost over.
But—
habits can be taken home.
And this particular habit is not something that belongs only to general practice.
It works in the emergency department.
It works in specialist care.
It works wherever we meet patients.
Seeing deeply into a disease
and seeing broadly across a person
are not competing ways of practicing medicine.
See the disease.
And then, almost by habit, find yourself looking a little further—
into the person’s life.
Another young doctor is about to leave Kashima Hospital carrying that kind of “good habit” with him.
For those of us who have worked alongside him for these six months, that may be one of the most gratifying outcomes of his training.
Bringing healthcare into the community.
To do that, perhaps it is not enough for our trainees to take home knowledge.
We hope they also take home—
a different way of seeing.
That, too, is part of our challenge.
Atsushi Ishii

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿