2026年9月22日火曜日

「説明したつもり」を、疑ってみる。 Questioning Whether I Really Explained It

 

第82話 「説明したつもり」を、疑ってみる。

今日は休日です。

でも、街は休日になりません。

今日は休日当番医。

午前中だけで、50人ほどの患者さんが受診されました。

その半数以上が、発熱患者さん。

インフルエンザは、もう珍しくありません。

新型コロナの陽性者も、複数確認されました。

今年のインフルエンザは、ずいぶん早い。

全国では8月のうちに流行入りし、1999年以来2番目の早さ。福島県でも、すでに流行シーズンに入っています。厚生労働省

新型コロナも消えたわけではありません。福島県では直近の第37週で、定点当たり1.92人が報告されています。福島県公式サイト

そこへ、シルバーウィーク。

人が動きます。

人が会います。

これから感染がさらに広がらないか、注意して見ていく必要があります。

似たような症状が、続く

発熱。

咳。

鼻水。

喉の痛み。

倦怠感。

朝から、似たような症状の患者さんが次々にやってきます。

もちろん、一人ひとり診察します。

インフルエンザなのか。

新型コロナなのか。

肺炎など、見逃してはいけない病気はないか。

検査が必要なのか。

治療はどうするのか。

そんな中のお一人でした。

臨床症状から、ウイルス性の気管支炎と判断しました。

抗菌薬が効く病態ではありません。

症状を和らげる薬を処方して、経過をみていただくことにしました。

診察を終え、次の患者さんへ。

さらに、その次の患者さんへ。

休日当番医の外来は続きます。

一本の疑義照会

しばらくすると、院内の薬剤師さんから疑義照会がありました。

「早く治したいので、抗生物質の処方を希望されています」

あれ?

一瞬、

「説明したはずなんだけどな」

と思いました。

でも、そこで考え直しました。

本当に、説明しただろうか。

「説明したつもり」

症状を和らげる薬を出して、経過をみましょう。

そこまでは、確かに説明しました。

でも、

「これはウイルスによるものと考えています」

「だから抗生物質は効きません」

「むしろ副作用などの不利益もあります」

「なので今回は処方しません」

そこまで一つひとつ言葉にして、患者さんの納得を確かめただろうか。

正直に言えば、自信がありません。

午前中だけで約50人。

その半数以上が発熱患者さん。

同じような症状の患者さんを何人も診ていると、医療者の頭の中では、

診察して、

考えて、

診断して、

治療方針を決める。

その一連の流れが、どんどん速くなっていきます。

でも、そこで忘れてはいけないことがあります。

分かっているのは、こちらです。

患者さんにとっては、

その日初めての発熱であり、
その日初めて聞く説明なのです。

「早く治したい」

そしてもう一つ。

患者さんが言ったのは、

「抗生物質が欲しい」

だけではありませんでした。

「早く治したい」

だったのです。

考えてみれば、当たり前です。

仕事があるかもしれない。

家族の予定があるかもしれない。

明日には熱を下げたいのかもしれない。

「このままで大丈夫なのか」

という不安があるのかもしれない。

私の頭の中には、

「ウイルス性だから抗菌薬は不要」

という医学的な判断がありました。

患者さんの頭の中には、

「一日でも早く治りたい」

という願いがありました。

どちらも、その診察室に存在していたのです。

薬剤師さんが拾ってくれたもの

今回、院内調剤だったからこそ、その声はすぐに戻ってきました。

薬剤師さんは、単に処方内容を確認してくれたのではありません。

診察室では拾いきれなかった、

患者さんの気持ちを拾って、もう一度こちらへ返してくれた。

そんな一本の疑義照会だったのだと思います。

患者さんが理解してくれなかった、ではない。

私の説明が悪かった、と単純に片づける話でもない。

ただ、

診断が正しいことと、
治療方針が患者さんと共有されていることは、
同じではありません。

十数秒でできたこと

混雑した外来で、すべてを長々と説明することはできません。

でも、

長く話すことと、

必要なことを伝えることも、

同じではありません。

たとえば、

「今回はウイルスによる症状と考えています。抗生物質は効かないので使いません。その代わり、つらい症状を和らげる薬を出しますね。」

それだけなら、十数秒かもしれません。

もちろん、それでも納得してもらえないことはあります。

それでも、

言わなければ、伝わりません。

そして、

言ったからといって、

伝わったとは限りません。

忙しいときほど

忙しいから、説明できない。

ではなく、

忙しいときほど、何を伝えなければならないのかを選ぶ。

今日の休日当番医で、あらためてそう思いました。

50人近くを診て、

インフルエンザも診ました。

新型コロナも診ました。

たくさんの発熱患者さんを診ました。

でも、

今日いちばん考えさせられたのは、

一枚の検査結果ではありませんでした。

一本の疑義照会でした。

「説明した」と、

「伝わった」は違う。

その前に、

「説明したつもり」と、
「本当に説明した」も、違う。

医療を街に置く。

それは、正しい診断をして、正しい治療を選ぶだけではなく、

その理由が、その人に届くところまで考えること。

それも、私たちの挑戦です。

石井 敦


Episode 82 — Questioning Whether I Really Explained It

Today is a holiday.

But illness does not take holidays.

I was on duty today as the physician covering holiday outpatient care.

By noon, we had already seen around 50 patients.

More than half of them had a fever.

Influenza is no longer unusual.

We also confirmed several cases of COVID-19.

Influenza has arrived unusually early this year.

And now we are in Silver Week, when many people travel, gather, and spend time together.

We will need to watch carefully to see whether infections spread even further.

When the Same Symptoms Keep Coming

Fever.

Cough.

Runny nose.

Sore throat.

Fatigue.

Patient after patient came in with similar symptoms.

Of course, each person still needed to be assessed individually.

Is it influenza?

COVID-19?

Could there be pneumonia or another condition we must not miss?

Do we need testing?

What treatment is appropriate?

One patient had symptoms that, based on the clinical picture, were consistent with viral bronchitis.

Antibiotics would not help.

So I prescribed medication to relieve the symptoms and advised the patient to monitor the course of the illness.

The consultation ended.

On to the next patient.

And then the next.

The holiday clinic kept moving.

One Call from the Pharmacist

A little later, one of our hospital pharmacists contacted me with a query.

“The patient says they want antibiotics because they want to get better as quickly as possible.”

My first reaction was:

Wait.

“But I explained that…”

Then I stopped.

And asked myself:

Did I really?

“I Thought I Explained It”

I had certainly explained that I would prescribe medication to relieve the symptoms and that we would watch how things progressed.

But had I actually said:

“I think this is caused by a virus.”

“Antibiotics do not work against this.”

“They can also cause side effects and other harms.”

“So I am not prescribing antibiotics today.”

Had I gone through those points clearly and then made sure the patient understood and agreed?

To be truthful, I am not sure.

Around 50 patients in one morning.

More than half with fever.

When we see one patient after another with similar symptoms, something happens inside the clinician’s mind.

Examine.

Assess.

Diagnose.

Decide on treatment.

The whole process becomes faster and faster.

But there is something we must not forget.

We are the ones who already understand the process.

For the patient, however,

this may be their first fever today,
and the first time they have ever heard this explanation.

“I Want to Get Better Quickly”

There was something else I realized.

The patient was not simply saying:

“I want antibiotics.”

What they were really saying was:

“I want to get better quickly.”

And that is entirely understandable.

They may have work tomorrow.

They may have family responsibilities.

They may simply want the fever gone as soon as possible.

They may be wondering:

“Am I really going to be okay?”

In my mind was a medical judgment:

“This is most likely viral, so antibiotics are unnecessary.”

In the patient’s mind was a very human wish:

“I want to get better as soon as possible.”

Both were present in that consultation room.

What the Pharmacist Picked Up

Because we dispense medications within the hospital, the patient’s concern came back to us immediately.

The pharmacist did more than simply check the prescription.

The pharmacist picked up something I had not fully captured in the consultation room—

the patient’s concern—and brought it back to me.

That, I think, was what this query really represented.

This is not a story about a patient failing to understand.

Nor is it simply a story about a doctor explaining things poorly.

It reminded me of something more fundamental:

Making the correct diagnosis
and sharing the treatment plan with the patient
are not the same thing.

What Ten More Seconds Might Have Done

In a crowded clinic, we cannot give every patient a long explanation.

But speaking at length and communicating what matters are not the same thing either.

Perhaps all I needed was something like this:

“I think your symptoms are caused by a virus. Antibiotics won’t help, so I’m not prescribing them today. Instead, I’ll give you medication to relieve the symptoms.”

That takes only a few seconds.

Of course, even then, the patient may not agree.

Still,

if we do not say it, it cannot be understood.

And even when we do say it,

that does not necessarily mean it has been understood.

Especially When We Are Busy

It is tempting to say:

“We were too busy to explain everything.”

But perhaps the better question is:

When we are busy, what are the things we absolutely must communicate?

That is what today’s holiday clinic reminded me.

I saw nearly 50 patients.

I saw influenza.

I saw COVID-19.

I saw many people with fever.

And yet the thing that made me think the most today was not a laboratory result.

It was

one query from a pharmacist.

There is a difference between

“I explained it”

and

“It was understood.”

But even before that,

there is a difference between

“I thought I explained it”
and
“I really explained it.”

Bringing healthcare into the community.

It means more than making the right diagnosis and choosing the right treatment.

It also means thinking about

whether the reason behind that decision has truly reached the person sitting in front of us.

That, too, is part of our challenge.

Atsushi Ishii

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿